How can I set up a self-hosted WordPress blog?

marzana December 2, 2010

I did everything the article for the free self-hosted WordPress blog How To Setup A Self-hosted Wordpress Blog for Free How To Setup A Self-hosted Wordpress Blog for Free Read More instructed, but I cannot get it up and running. Am I missing something? Do I register with WordPress and then go through all the steps? What if I have a blog already with Blogger and want to transfer all my info to WordPress, how do I do that?

Hi Marzana,I think the problem is in the free hosting service. The one that I used back then is not as not "as functional" as it used to be a year ago (polite wording for "not working" :) ). And this is generally the problem with free web hosts: they never last long.So my suggestion is for you to find another decent free web host or move to the paid one. There are many cheap hosts with good customer service. Do a quick search and you'll find many.Another advantages of using paid host is that most of them provide automatic installation for popular webtools, including WordPress.And as for importing Blogger content, as Alfanaki have mentioned above, you could use the "Import" feature directly from WordPress admin area.

2. Alfanaki Com

Dashbord wordpress -> manage -> import
    click at blogger -> Authorize
    ----> Grant Access.

from blogspot --> Layout --> Edit HTML.
    under :
    add this script

3. Ashudeep Kain

Go to "wordpress.com", in article the link directs you to "wordpress.org" which is wrong.

Click on sign up now button, fill the usual registration form, the nwhen you are presented with dashboard after sign up and activation. Go to Tools> Import and click on blogger to follow instructions. WordPress will ask you to install import plugin which is ok just accept it and you will be fine.

No, she is referring here to a self-hosted wordpress blog, not a hosted one. WordPress.com is not self hosted, the link in the article was correct.

Marzana, I install at least 5 copies of wordpress nearly every day. I canhelp you but you will need to be more specific. At which point does it not work? You need to do the following steps:

1. download the latest wordpress package from wordpress.org, if it is indeed SELF HOSTED that you want. This mean you have your own server, and a database system you can use.

2. Unzip then upload the files to your FTP server, root directory is fine

3. Type in the URL, should be just your main domain.

4. You will need to have a database set up as the installer will ask you for the login information etc.

5. Setup admin user, then login and perform an import as poster above mentioned (personally never touched blogger, so I cant help you on that side)

There may be an easier way to install depending on your host. For instance, if you are hosting with godaddy then there is a tool called "hosting connection", other hosts use "fantastico" as described in the article. Those will install wordpress for you, it's really easy and you just choose a password.

If you can give some more info, please reply and I will see what I can do.