How can I best set up a remote webcam?

Wally D. September 14, 2011

I am setting up a web cam at my hunting camp due to recent break in. When I wire my web cam and this is probably a stupid question, I would need a PC at the camp to run the software and of course internet service at the camp as well, no? Or do I only need the PC and electrical power?

1. P. David Albee

Classic answer: it depends. If you want to monitor the webcam remotely as well as record, you'll need internet access/service to the camp. If you only want to record, you'll just need a PC & power (plus the webcam itself, of course) at the camp. But unless you visit the camp often to view or copy off the recordings & reset the recording software, you'd still be better off with internet service to the camp to connect to the computer remotely to do those things. OR, you could even go with internet access BUT no computer if you used an IP webcam, which connects directly to the internet and allows you to control it & record what it sees, all from your remote (home) location.
    As usual, it depends on what's most important to you: convenience or money.

Let's factor in security:
      Recording "on-site" without any external backup is rendering the use of a camera almost pointless. If a thief breaks in the computer is (a) one of the desired items to be stolen or (b) something he/she will look for if the camera was spotted or they know about it.

Unless your "recording device" is in a safe and protected space (e.g. a reinforced locked closet) it won't serve it's purpose. Even then, this would be one of the spots a thief will try to get in because it usually means there is something valuable.

I would definitely go for some IP camera which is then remotely recorded (if the speed is sufficient) or locally into 1 hour cuts or so and then immediately backed up via internet to your computer, some online backup or cloud storage.

Personally, I also suggest to setup at least a second camera outside to the parking lot because it's easier to catch a number plate than a face in the dark.

And it does not need to record constantly.  The recording can start when motion is detected by the camera, thus saving disk space.