How can I set up a Quick Search in Firefox if the ‘add a keyword’ context menu option is missing?

Thomas Weybrew September 9, 2010

RE: your article “7 Firefox Quick Searches You Should Set Up 7 Firefox Quick Searches You Should Set Up 7 Firefox Quick Searches You Should Set Up Read More

My context menu when right-clicking the search bar doesn’t give me the option to add a keyword. I’d like to use your suggestions, but how?

1. Jessica Cam W.

I thought you were talking about how some websites offer a search bar, but even if you right-click on those bars and choose to add a keyword to that search, typing the keywords later on won't search the site. For example, I visit AlternativeTo.Net quite often, but even if I add a keyword to the site by right-clicking on the search box and choosing 'Add a keyword for this search', typing the keyword just brings me to the homepage.For these sites, you need to perform a search, replace the search term in the URL with %s, and then bookmark that address with a keyword. So for AlternativeTo.Net, there's "http://alternativeto.net/SearchResult.aspx?profile=all&search=adobe&category=software" in which I'd replace "adobe" with "%s" and bookmark that address.

Thomas,

I think there is a small misunderstanding. You do not right-click the Firefox search bar or any other Firefox field. You right-click the search field you wish to set up a 'quick search' or 'smart keyword' for.

For example, if you want to set up a quick search for MakeUseOf, you need to find the search field on our website (top right) and do a right-click in that search field.

I'm using Firefox 3.6 and could reproduce Aibek's instructions. When clicking into a search field on a website, the 'add a keyword' context menu option does come up.

Please let us know whether my notion is right or whether you really do not see the context menu option when clicking into a search field (try Google search) on a website. Thank you!