How do I set up QoS (Quality Of Service) settings on my router?

mustafa syed September 14, 2012

I am on a LAN network, and sometimes the others on the network use downloaders & torrent clients, which makes it difficult for those surfing to load pages or to use skype.

I came to know that through QoS settings one can give preference to certain IPs ,MAC addresses or even reduce priority of certain ports.I basically want to know how the settings are done . I’m posting the link below
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8kDPoZanrYoYUZqMDUzajhJMlU

1. Robert Ruedisueli

Setting up QoS on your router will depend on your router's firmware.

If you want to install third party firmware. OpenWRT based firmware has far better options as of QoS, however the stock version of OpenWRT currently has a very limited list of supported routers.

You can find some modified builds out there, but not all of them will properly accept repository upgrades.

Looking at the screenshot I believe the easiest thing to do is activate QoS and configure the first rule shown on the screen.

Set your computer as the source (via MAC address) and set all DSCP remarking to the highest. Click "save".

Select rule index "2"
    Set your computer as the destination MAC and again set all remarkings to the highest.

That should give all traffic to and from your computer the highest priority.

• mustafa syed

Thanks Mike your solution seems to be working ,but instead of MAC address I had to put the IP address , I dont know why but every time I entered the MAC it says invalid MAC ID .But this solution just gives preference to a particular PC , how do we configure the settings to give priority to browsing and voice services on all PCs

Try Routix Netcom 2.2 from http://www.routix.net/ . It is free and easy-to-use rules-based packets-level filtering, QoS, bandwidth, bridging, redirection, NAT and managment software and improved remote management features and remote scripting. NetCom is an extensible firewall, traffic controller, HTTP URL filter and traffic statistics software. NetCom provides firewall that helps protect network resources from viruses and hackers. NetCom provides a unified management console that simplifies security and access management.
    Each rule can be configured with many conditions: connections count, packets direction, NICs, protocols, MAC-addresses, IP-addresses, TCP and UDP ports, time and other conditions.
    Each rule can be configured with many actions: packets can be allowed, dropped or sended to the next rule in list. URL filtering supported. Rule can replace MAC and IP addresses, TCP and UDP ports (for example packets can be redirected to the transparent proxy, like SquidNT). Rule can make backward replacements automatically (via NAT-table). Rule can bridge packets between two or more NICs. Rule can redirect packets from one to other NIC. Rule can limit incoming and outgoing bandwidth or prioriterize defined traffic. Rule can execute scripts or external executables on misc events. Each rule has counters of incoming and outgoing traffic. These counters can be resetted automatically with any specified interval. Also these counters can be used as conditions (for example you can block any or specified traffic if counter > N).