How do I set up my PC and laptop for LAN gaming?

Osama Javaid September 20, 2012

I have a PC and a laptop at my home, I want to set up these to play some LAN games but the only thing I know about it right now is that I played LAN games at gaming zones. Can you tell me what hardware I need, how to configure the network and how to set all this up?

1. Alex Perkins

A router or hub with at least two ports and two Ethernet cables, i recommend CAT5e as its cheap and decently fast, plug one end into the computer and the other into the router or hub, do the same for the laptop.

2. Shayne Selwonk

The easiest way is to connect them directly to each other either with a cross-over Ethernet cable or with a hub or switch between them (each PC connected to the switch or hub with a regular Ethernet cable). With this method you have to assign each one an IP address, for example, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2.

3. chaitanya

just get a good quality lan wire(peferably cat-6) clip it,connect it and you are good to go.when the wire is detected by both the pc and laptop go to
    1) networking and sharing -->click lan ---->click internet protocol version 4-->click "use the following ip" and put any random ip address in both the system(different ip's)
    click ok

You just need to connect your PC and laptop via same HomeGroup and connect them via crossover cable -

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-25120-how-to-connect-two-laptops-using-lan-cable

Matt has covered a good guide about Home networking,so this will be also helpful to you in building your safe connection.

Connected: Your Complete Guide To Home Networking -

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/connected-your-complete-guide-to-home-networking

5. Patrick Jackson

If you have your laptop and desktop connected to a LAN via a router or through the internet, then you can use Logmein Hamachi to form a VPN between the two. Else simply when using multi-player settings of your game, type the IP address of the other system by seeing it from the ipconfig command from the command line!

Hope this would help!

6. Osama Javaid

Plz enlist the hardware/software I need

A router for wired connections to both devices. The easy way is to select a router that has preconfigured QoS settings to optimize LAN gameplay which is a large number of the more recent routers produced. You would also want the fastest possible network adapter for both computers. Bigfoot Networks makes network adapters that are optimized for gaming.Ultra-high performance equipment is not necessary in all cases. You can always just start out with a basic setup (auto-configured in many cases) and see if the performance is adequate for your needs. If not, then you can look at more advanced routers or network adapters although in many cases, the computers used may prove to be more of a bottleneck than the network itself is.