How do you set up Outlook 2013 and 2007 for interoffice email?

Anonymous December 18, 2013

I need help setting up Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010 to create interoffice email. I tried setting it up using a distribution list, but when I send, I receive error messages in my email.

What do you mean by "interoffice mail"? In what way is that different from any other email? Also, what errors do you get?

• Jan F

If I'm not mistaken interoffice email is something like sending from "oron@workgroup.local" to "jan@workgroup.local" without the mail being stored on a server or so. But it does requires a working smtp server and it doesn't allow emails e.g. to/from Gmail or something like that.

It was mostly replaced by internal messaging systems like Lync from Microsoft.

• Oron J

Interesting! You (or rather I) learn something every day...

• Jan F

I have never used or seen it in use either. As far as I know and can tell from resources it's basically a stripped down mail setup using the build-in mail service of Windows Server and Outlook and does not connect to the internet (no MX setup, port forwarding, etc.).

You could get the same by simply blocking any traffic from or to the internet from your (fully-configured) mail server. I think pretty much everyone has abandoned such setup ~ that's where e.g. Lync comes in nowadays.

Do you actually have an email server up and running e.g. Exchange, sendmail or another POP/SMTP server. Without your own email server you won't be able to setup interoffice email.

If you do have your own email server I suggest you simply setup standard email accounts, configure them in Outlook and email each other normally – as long as both accounts are on the same server and neither one is using a "foreign" SMTP the emails will never leave your internal email server.

The only difference between these "interoffice" accounts and normal once is that they cannot send or receive messages with the outside world.