How can I set up an internet connection in Linux Mint?

Susendeep Dutta August 29, 2010

I have Linux Mint ISO and I want to know how to setup internet on it.

I have tried on my behalf, but have reached up to enabling LAN. But it is not getting connected to internet. I have Spectranet broadband and use LAN of 1 Mbps speed. The company has provided info of only MAC address, subnet mask, IP address, default gateway and DNS servers.

Please help me so that I can use Linux successfully as I have tried Ubuntu 8.04, but failed.

1. Artur Wrona

I guess that your internet provider is limited access only to computers with specific MAC address.

You can change your Linux's MAC temporarily by typing in terminal:

sudo ipconfig eth0 down
    sudo ipconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    sudo ipconfig eth0 up

If you want more permanent fix you can put that into bash script that will be executed on every boot.

It is likely, that your ISP uses MAC filtering to ensure, that only 1 PC per broadband line is using internet. In that case, just create script in your favourite text editor, make it executable and just run it whenever you need to connect to internet.

Hope that helped.
    Best regards
    krebain