How do you set up a home network while getting internet wirelessly?
Question by Philip Cook /

In June I will be moving into school housing for Grad School.

I currently have a combination wired/wireless home network with a Windows Home server. Right now I have a cable internet connection, but in the new location it will be through wireless.

I’m trying to figure out how to maintain access to my server and have internet access. Can I just replace the cable modem with something wireless or is it more complicated than that?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• CCIE

You are just wanting to have your own private local area network (LAN), and have it connect to the Internet on the school’s network through wireless, right?

You can do this with DD-WRT, in Client Mode.  There are other stand-alone devices that do it as well, like the D-Link DWL-G730AP

• Philip Cook

You are correct in what I am trying to do. I have a HTPC, desktop and two laptops that need access to the server for backups and storage. 
      The router I have right now is a Linksys E4200 which is a WIP with DD-WRT. I looked at the site a little but did not see if that firmware maintains the USB print server capability. That is one of the reasons I bought it. Does anyone know anything more about that?
      Also in reading about the client mode it seems like the internet connection only goes out to the LAN and the ability to connect wirelessly is lost, which is unacceptable.
      So, what would happen if I took a router running DD-WRT and connected the LAN to the internet port on the E4200 which would be wire and wirelessly connected to my devices?
      I hope I’m being clear in my though precess and what I’m trying to do.

• Roberto Ryan

Now I’m not entirely sure if I understand what it is you’re trying to do, but from what you’ve said I have a suggestion.
      Here’s what you do. Take one of your wireless devices that also has a wired connection capabilities. First connect to your school’s wireless connection. Then Bridge both your wireless adapter and your wired adapter (DON’T FORGET to select “Share Internet Connection” on your wireless adapter). Once you’ve done this connect your current Linksys router, essentially use this wireless device as wireless “modem” and then split the connection from that device with your current Linksys.Again, I’m not sure if this will help your situation, but at least its something to consider. 

• CCIE

Yes, that is exactly what I would do.  Get a cheap router that does DD-WRT, configure it as a wireless client on your school’s network, then plug in your E4200 Internet port to the DD-WRT router.  

• Philip Cook

Thanks, I think that’s what I’ll do.

you can talk to your school and perhaps they can guide you well.

• Oron Joffe

It depends on the setup at your new place. 
    I suggest you contact your school to ask. 

If the server _only_ serves your laptop you may want to connecting them directly via ethernet cable or a second WiFi channel (effectively creating a “backroom LAN”). Another possibility may be to get your server onto the wireless, in which case problem solved (but make sure it’s properly protected as there will be plenty of people around you with time and motivation on their hands…).  

Hello, replacing with a wireless router will not accomplish this.  I would say your setup should be ok.  You could try two different possibilities that come to mind.  The first one is by setting up a VPN and the second one by using remote software such as teamviewer, ultraVNC, hamachi, etc.

Remote Desktop options like the ones below, will let you take control of your computer as if you were sitting in front of it. 

Windows Live Mesh:

The other option would be setting a VPN connection in your home and access it from your school.  It would use a virtual tunnel from from your school to your house to access your internet connection and it is also possible to encrypt it.

What is a VPN:

Setting a VPN with home server:

Setting up VPN with XP:

VPN for vista:

VPN for windows 7: