How can I set up a home network compatible with Mac, Ubuntu, and Windows?

nedim October 3, 2011

I have a laptop with dual boot (Ubuntu and Windows 7). My sister has an old iMac G4. She also has an Apple Air port WiFi router and I have a TP-link router.

I have certain problems making a home network that works for both of us. When I make a network with the Airport, I can not connect with Ubuntu and when I make it with the other router, Mac doesn’t want to connect.

It would be perfect for me to make a network with both routers and if they could be communicating with each other wirelessly, that would be awesome. Please any help thanks in advance!

1. Nedim

it is like this, when i make a network with the apple router and when i connect to the network i have to connect to a wired network as if the net cable is pluged in my computer, ubuntu will not let me connect to wired connection if there is no wire (net cable) in my port..... windows works on both.... i have entered the necesery data to the airport for itto connect to interent on it's own.... and i cant figure out why mac cant connect on tp link i've tried wep, wap security encriptions but it cant connect it detects the network but simply wont connect  i will try those sugestions and tell you if it worked, thanks once more....

Linksys E2000 better E3000

I'm not sure as to why you can't connect to either the AirPort or the TP Link. 
    Have you compared the security and encryption settings of the devices for differences?

As for the iMac G4 my initial thought would be a problem with the WiFi standard. The early G4 models shipped with Wireless-B only AirPort cards. If your TP Link is set to G-only or another mode that doesn't support B-devices this could be the problem.

I'm confident to say it's not an Apple problem. I have connected all kinds of devices to AirPort Express/Extreme or Time Capsule and vice versa Apple devices to other Routers.

• Nedim

you're right, it's a g only router, and imac g4 is b-only..... but never mind i just have to fiure out how to make the airport connect to the internet on it's own, because after i connect to the network i have no internet access, i have to run a wired connection go get access to the internet, but i gave the router username and pass for the internet connection, can you please help me since you have apple experience

I've used AirPort stations only in corporate environments that means connecting them to an existing network providing wireless access.

From your initial question I guess it is one of the options you were looking ~ connection the AirPort to the TP Link creating one network with both devices.

I guess your TP Link is already setup to provide internet and wireless access for your Windows/Linux machine ~ otherwise do so, like it was the only Router on your network.

1. connect the AirPorts ethernet port to one of the TP Links ethernet ports (no special cable required)

2. open up the AirPort utility and double-click your AirPort station to configure it

3. click on Internet at the top, you should now see the "Internet Connection" settings, set them as followed

Connect Using: Ethernet
        Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

If you want to you can also give the AirPort a static address under TCP/IP settings but it's not required.

4. if you want to you can modify the AirPort settings too (AirPort station name & password, Wireless security settings, ...) but since you already have a working AirPort + iMac network you don't have to do anything there.

5. save the settings and wait for your AirPort to restart

When this is done you should be able to connect to the AirPort with your Mac as usual but will be provided with an IP, Gateway etc. from your TP Link Router ~ meaning you should be able to access the internet along with your dual boot machine.

In addition you should be able to communicate from your Mac to your Windows/Linux machine and vice versa.

• Nedim

I think eHow's article "How to Connect Two Routers on One Home Network" will be helpful. 

Most routers are OS independent however, this is rather unusual. Apple tends to go out of their way to only support their own hardware (circular support). Tell me if the eHow article doesn't help though!