Can you help me set up folder permission and sharing in Dropbox for school use?

Rishan May 17, 2012

Here is the scenario:

We need to have two main shareable folders for our school –

1. Dropboxes

Teachers Permissions: Inside the Dropboxes folder each teacher should have a folder under their name and full access.

Students Permissions: Student can access each teacher’s folder and sub folders, but they should not able to see the other documents inside that folder. Even if they can see but they should not able to read the document, and we have to prevent overwriting as well. Students should not be able to delete anything (if they need anything they can go to the teacher).

E.g. My name is ABC and I’m Year 10 student, class room is T-9. I finish my exam and I need to give my exam paper to my teacher (call him XYZ) who has told me he created a folder for our class. Folder path is:

Dropboxes > XYZ > Year10 > T-9

And what should I able to do is just go to T-9 folder, right click and paste my exam paper. If any file has the same name I should not able to replace it and I must rename my file. Students should not be able to see any other students’ exam papers, or copy any other file folder or documents.

2. Handouts

Teaches can put documents which they would like to share with students (e.g. exam papers, assignments templates) and teachers should have to have full access.

Students Permissions: Students should able to see each and every teachers folder and subfolder. They should also be able to see the documents and copy/paste the file to their own computer.

E.g. My name is ABC and I’m a Year 10 student, class room is T-9. Our maths teacher’s name is XYZ and he told me we have an exam today and to go to his folder take a copy of the exam paper. The folder path should be:

Handouts > XYZ > Year10 > T-9 > Maths exam.doc

As a student I should be able to go to that folder, copy the document called “Maths exam.doc” and paste to my desktop. I should not able to do cut or delete any folders or documents

So do you think this is possible? How would I go about setting it up? Or maybe you have a better idea/system?

Please help, thanks!

How do I share folders with other people
    Your public folders are read only, your shared folders are r/w and there is noway to change that yet well i think so
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/19

Can I set permissions for members of my shared folders?
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/60
    All members of a shared folder have full read and write privileges. Setting read-only permissions isn't currently possible, but the feature is on Dropbox's roadmap.

If you're interested in sharing files for people to view or download only (ie. read-only access), consider creating links to files from your Public folder instead of creating a shared folder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/16

The /shares call allow you to create a shareable link to any file or folder, whether or not your app is using full access:
    https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/api#shares
    If you just want read-only sharing between users, you can use the /shares calls. If you specifically want read/write access, you'll have to use full access and have the user set up the shared folders

Some permissions systems are incompatible between operating systems. For example, a file with read-only access on your Windows computer may not be protected on your Mac. Dropbox doesn't change a file's permissions when syncing, but can't guarantee the permissions you set in one operating system will work properly when opened from another computer.

2. Oron

What you're describing are classic Windows Server permissions for network drives/folders. You can't do it in Dropbox since it has an "all or nothing" shared folder model (you can share a folder with a group of individuals, or not, but can't refine access to the folders).

As shown in your examples for both scenarios, you have conflicting requirements that are not possible no matter what system you use.

• Rishan

mm.... i tried with many ways but still I'm unable to do so. I'm using server 2008 R2 64 bit Standard

1. Drop boxes and 2. Handouts mean just shared name only. this one i'm trying to do with using windows file sharing system and NTFS permission.

if you guys have any idea or are there any software can do that.. please kindly share with me..

and who are the friends comment below appreciate that but still I'm trying rectify the problem.

• Rishan

mm…. i tried with many ways but still I’m unable to do so. I’m using server 2008 R2 64 bit Standard

1. Drop boxes and 2. Handouts mean just shared name only. this one i’m trying to do with using windows file sharing system and NTFS permission.

and who are the friends comment below appreciate that but still I’m trying rectify the problem.