How can I set up easy to use sharing or remote access between a Linux Mint desktop and Windows 7?

Andrei December 23, 2010

My parents are using Linux Mint, and I am called to offer remote assistance from time to time. I need an application that would allow desktop sharing/ remote access between her Linux Mint and my Windows 7. It should be easy enough for them to use. :)

1. ANDREI T

Thanks all. Since this would probably be for training purposes ("Tell me how to...?") I will give teamviewer a try.

2. Weyrleader

@Andrei: I assume you need a remote access program for you to access their PC to do systems administration on it, not the other way around.

For this purpose use VNC. Install the server part onto their Linux system and you can use the viewer to see their screen and manipulate their mouse and keyboard. Once installed they won't need to know anything about it and you just use the viewer to connect up and do what you need to do.

If you need to do some shell level access (command prompt) then use SSH. If their PC is turned on, you can login to it and do the stuff you need to do without them even knowing your doing it. This type of stuff can be things like defragmenting (probably never needed), installing/uninstalling programs, fixing configuration files, etc.

HTH
    Weyrleader

3. ambientdark

I suggest use of teamviewer