How can I set up a dual screen using a DVI and a VGA monitor with an NVidia GeForce graphics card?

ohnoes nope October 10, 2012

Today I got a new monitor and thought of making a dual screen with my old, and new monitor.
I connected my new monitor (DVI) to my video card ASUS NVidia GeForce 560 GTX Ti, which does support multiple monitors. The card has these connectors: 2xDVI 1xmini HDMI. I can get my new monitor to work, but can’t get my old monitor to. Any ideas on why it won’t work?

1. dhanunjayarao chunduri

If both monitors are DVI, then the issue is with windows and the NVidia driver setup.
    You need to get into the NVIdia display properties and set it up for dual display.

2. Dimal Chandrasiri

you better select multiple display mode and identify all the connected displays to get started. if you've done that step please comment with the result.

Install newest driver from ASUS, go into NVidia setup and select dual monitor mode.

your old monitor olduse a VGA connector.Try with an adapter DVI to VGA (HD15) Adaptor (M-F) to connect to pc.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabling4Less-DVI-VGA-HD15-Adaptor/dp/B000FII810
    Plug the adaptor into your DVI slot on the back of your computer, then the VGA cable into the adaptor.

How to Connect a New Computer to an Old Monitor
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5793491_connect-new-computer-old-monitor.html

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Used this method quite effectively..

5. Michael Nolan

IF both monitors are connected to the PC and plugged in and powered on the display utility should be able to identify them both and configure them to their native (default) resolutions). I would assume that you want to 'extend' your displays and not mirror them... If this is the case then that is the setting you want to look for. You can also try to get to the windows display setting by right mouse clicking anywhere on theopen desktop and selecting 'Screen Resolution' (Win7). Within the Display Settings window click on the 'Detect' button and then click on the Identify button to determine which monitor is connected to which port... You need to determined which one is number 1 or the primary display where your taskbar will appear, etc.
    From there you can make all of the other adjustments you deem necessary. Good luck! I also recommend a paid application called UltraMon... it works great and gives you a lot of options right from the System Tray!