How can I set up a computer after replacing the hard drive?
Question by James Mastrangelo /

My mom’s computer crashed and I replaced the hard drive. When I went to turn it on, all information for Windows XP was gone. How can I get this computer running again?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• M.S. Smith

Install Windows from a Windows disc. If you don’t have one, you’re going to have to buy one, or make a recovery disc from another computer. But even then you still need the registration key…so if you don’t have that, buying a new copy of Windows is your only option.

• Hafis

If your new hard drive already hav windows installed, Then u just hav to install drivers for your PC.
    If your hard drive hav no pre installed os, Then u must install an OS and then install the required drivers…

Well if you just replace a hard drive that contains the operating system with another hard drive without operating system then you wont have windows.

Now the method will be to clone the hard drive and to add that clone on the new hard drive.  Do you have any clone of the windows xp?

• Bahman_m_63

If you replaced the H.D.D then you doesn’t have any information on it any more and should install new O.S. You can buy a Windows CD(or DVD) and install it using the guide. But at first you should go to system setup and change the boot method to “boot from CD/DVD” and put the Windows disk and restart the system to boot from CD. In the installation process you can create the drives and format them using the tools in the installation process. It’s better to have a partition for O.S and another for your files.
    Good luck ;)

• junaid khan

but in the boot menu during booting and entering in booting setup ….when i checked the boot sequence it was right….but when in checked hard disk drive option….there it was showing hard disk drive not installed