How can I set up a cheap VPN network using a Mac without access to a router?

Joe Crawford January 10, 2011

So I really want to set up a VPN for all of my computers and systems. I have an Android phone, iPad, Mac, and Linux machine. I would like to use the Mac as the main point of contact, since it is my main computer.

The real issue here is that I do not have any access to my router. I get internet free with my rent and I cannot get another line into my house due the age of the wiring.

This solution does not have to be free, but I would like to keep it somewhat inexpensive. Any help would be great. Thank you so much!

If you have a spare machine you could set up as a server, you could add it to your network in between your current router and your wireless hub (assuming they are different?). There are many free linux distros that will act as an intermediary router for you, and of course include VPN functionality. In fact, the article I just wrote on Amahi home server has a VPN app just for that.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-home-server-amahi/