How can I set up a cheap photo studio at home?

Kalpesh October 1, 2010

I have a 5 month old and going to photo studio every month is costly, time consuming and just not efficient. I have a small room so I would like to setup a small and cheap photo studio which can provide me almost same results as quality photo studio.

Can someone point me to an article about it or answer this.

Thank You
Kalpesh

1. peter

my sister has a small business and we have a little photography room. the set up we have now is awful...we have a light grey to black background on the wall..and two light setups on the left and right side..and there is a light hanging from the top that you have to manually manuever. is there any other top lightning system that i can use besides this one? It's hard to look into the camera AND hold the light in your hand..More often than not, the pictures come out horrible. My sister is VERY picky when it comes to this. There has to be "moody" shots or else all of the pictures have to be redone..Can anyone help me? the room is about 15 long to about 6 feet wide..any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Susendeep Dutta

Have you considered the tips given in the comments below? They might be helpful to you.

Kalpesh,

how did you end up setting up your home photo studio? I'm sure you have some advice of your own by now. Please share!

3. Kkmudgle

you can visit "http://diyphotography.net/" and there you can find many ideas.

4. Josh Fox

There was an article here on MUO showing how to make some essential photography accessories. Might help you get ideas to what you would want or need.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-essential-digital-photography-accessories/

However, if you have nature on your side, a short walk could give you a great natural backdrop. But if you want an indoor photography studio, you could do a backdrop with a shower curtain rod, some flat sheets or fabric, and a prop to attach the rod to, or even hanging it on the wall. Lighting isn't too hard, you can usually find some desk lamps that will do a decent job with directional lighting.

5. Dave Drager

There are 2 important parts to a photo studio: backdrop and lighting.

First the first part, you can use a plain bedsheet or painting drop cloth. Hang it from the ceiling and let it drop down, or if you have enough, curl it under where the subject (your child) will be.

The second part is trickier. You have to bring in light somehow. You can bring a lot of lights into your room to brighten it up, or purchase lights to do just this. Make sure the lightbulbs are the same temperature or you will have white balance issues. It is best if your room has strong natural lighting but this can also be augmented with artificial lights. Reflect them off of the ceiling or walls to diffuse the light and create less shadow.

Finally, and this is just a suggestion, the outdoors make a great free 'studio'. We have a friend who is a photographer and often comes over to take photos of my children. Usually we will just go outside and find a pretty background. Remember, the subject of the photo is your child and that is what the photo should be centered/focused on. Just make sure there is plenty of light - overcast works the best since is not uni-directional and won't cast hard shadows.