How can I set up a bridge from router to desktop to router?

Kyle Michler February 18, 2012

I am using a router located a distance away. I have a computer that will receive the signal via wireless. I have it hooked up to a router in order to  resend the signal back out (extend my network).

The issue is I can’t get my router to talk to my desktop.

I have a patch cable and regular Ethernet cable, internet-modem/router-destop-linksys router-other devices.

I know I have done this before in college as I was stealing another network, but this time I am not stealing and I just can’t seem to figure it out this time. If you can help me, please reply. Thanks!

For such a setup the problem could be (almost) anywhere ~ just a small typo in the TCP/IP configuration could cause it to fail.

First you should make sure that both routers are using different IP networks e.g. 192.168.0/24 and 10.0.0/24 for the LAN clients
    One may say that different subnets (e.g. 192.168.0/24 and 192.168.10/24) should be sufficient but some home routers do have problems with such a setup.

The problem with bridging on Windows is that it only works for Wifi cards that support promiscuous mode. 
    Also, bridging is used to create one large subnet which means that the LAN side of your Wifi Router and the WAN side of your second Router should be on the same subnet (make sure to prevent IP conflicts by setting the WAN interface of the second router either as DHCP or manually outside the DHCP range).

Last but not least you can try using static TCP/IP configuration for both network interfaces and use Internet Connection Sharing instead. 

Hello,it could also be there is misconfiguration between routers.  Try checking settings for router with the following instructions in links:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/f/two_routers.htm
    http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Depending on the router, you can bridge your wired and wireless networks.  Your router has to be compatible with Bridge Mode.  As a possible alternative,  you could also use internet connection sharing (ICS) for this. ICS can use DHCP, NAT and other services needed that are needed to share an internet 
    connection with other devices/system on a network.

Ok, My first question, If your have the IP, can you get into the second router? It almost sounds like your PC and the router connected over a patch are not on the same IP addressing.