How do I set up auto login on Windows Vista?

Diane February 7, 2010

As the single owner/user of my laptop, how can I set up an auto login-type process to bypass the screen that asks you to select which account you want to enter?
I want to turn on my laptop and see my desktop ready to go without having to click on my single account. THANKS!!

1. Diane

GOT IT! Type “Control Userpasswords2? in the Start Search box & press ENTER; select your user name in the "Users For This Computer list;" uncheck the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box & press OK; at the the Automatically Log On dialog box, type your password in both the Password and Confirm Password text boxes & press OK. That's it. To test, restart computer.

Provided that your users account has an Admnistrator role:

Step 1: Control panel -> User Accounts -> remove Password from your account
    Step 2: Control panel -> User Accounts -> Manage Accounts -> turn off the Guest account.

If you are using the default administrator account in Vista, I believe you will always get this screen. If you created your own user account, if it doesn't have a password on the user account, and its only the one account on the computer, it should go to the desktop straight away. You can either, remove the password, create another administrator account in control panel.

• Diane

Okay, I created another admin acct and now it stops at the screen and waits for me to choose one of the two accounts. Is there a way to sort of turn off the primary admin account or remove it from view or wouldn't I want to do that?