Which server operating system is right for my needs?

Shane La Horie September 16, 2012

I would like to know which is the best server OS for my needs. I would like to

1. Setup a DHCP server.
  2. Setup a file server capable of automatic backups.
  3. Setup a media server.
  4. Setup a print server.

Recommendations can be either Linux servers or Windows servers. When giving your recommendations please say why you recommed the particular OS so that I can make a proper decision please.

Also please state if any of the Linux servers come in a live CD version so that I can test it before installation. Thanks!

1. Patrick Jackson

Hello there.

I feel that either Debian or Ubuntu, depending on how much you are comfortable in Linux that I think you are, would suffice.

You can install XBMC for media server, and Ubuntu pretty much support many printers, else check your driver CD of the printer for the 'linux' driver.

I hope this helps!

2. Steve Chi

3. Shane La Horie

Thanks guys for all your help and assistance...

4. Mohamed Jimee

I prefer you use, microsoft server

5. Fernando Garza

You should use Windows Server 2008 if you have the money to buy it but if you do not want to spend any money go for Linux.

6. Abidhusain Momin

Go for Centos or Debian Server. This both flavor are widely used and also have best support via forum & other. You can use simple dhcp to VPS / Cloud environment.

7. Dylan Brendan

Linux is great.. Especially Ubuntu!

Amahi (http://www.amahi.org) would probably suit your needs, as would OpenMediaVault ...

9. Shane La Horie

Thanks guys for all your responses. I'm still not sure what to do so i think that i can get to do all those things on win 7 i'll just install what ever 3rd party software i need to.

10. Saurav Azad

go for linux server redhat/fedora

11. Erlis Dhima

I don't think I can give you a good opinion, since I like both Windows Server 2008, and Linux based servers...
    But if you are more for security, I would say linux server!

I don't see Linux being more secure unless you spent the necessary time into properly configuring it (services, firewall, ssh private key, ...) ~ but then again, Windows Server would be equally secure doing this.

• Erlis Dhima

I think you are right! But the best to choose would be using the system Shane is more used to! So, in this case, let's leave it to him...

I do agree with you in the (not mentioned) point that Linux may be more secure in terms of stability and is less susceptible to updates breaking or changing something up.

Although,not being experienced in server OS,Windows and Linux are widely used.Recently,Windows has released Windows server 2012 in which you can perform operations via GUI or by giving commands.They also have three editions of it to suit your needs so as to make effective purchase -

Some Linux server OS doesn't allow more features in live mode,so you can test them in virtual box by installing in it.

The 5 Best Linux Servers for Small Business -

Which one do you have the most experience with?

You can setup those services on any operating system but it only makes sense to use one which you actually know how to use, administrate and maintain.

I.e. there is no point using Linux for that if your biggest struggle is going to be editing settings and configurations in a command line text editor.

14. ahmed Fouad khalil

Linux server for sure, because it is more secure and stable and less cost

A Linux server, your preferred distro, simply because of the security benefits. Since you do not state that it needs to integrate easily into an existing Active Directory structure, you would be better off selecting Linux for the job. As far as a specific distribution, it is all a matter of personal preference. If you have any experience with RedHat/Fedora/CentOS, you would probably want to stick with those. Same thing applies with either the BSD or Debian lines of *nix. They probably do have LiveCDs for them, but I would recommend initially setting things up in a VM instead so you can more fully experiment before making your final decision. Also, remember when setting up a server to only install the necessary elements to perform the services you require on the machine.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah, most server installations come with a lot of unnecessary features that are never utilised.