Which server operating system is right for my needs?
Question by Shane La Horie /

I would like to know which is the best server OS for my needs. I would like to

1. Setup a DHCP server.
  2. Setup a file server capable of automatic backups.
  3. Setup a media server.
  4. Setup a print server.

Recommendations can be either Linux servers or Windows servers. When giving your recommendations please say why you recommed the particular OS so that I can make a proper decision please.

Also please state if any of the Linux servers come in a live CD version so that I can test it before installation. Thanks!

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Patrick Jackson

Hello there.

I feel that either Debian or Ubuntu, depending on how much you are comfortable in Linux that I think you are, would suffice.

You can install XBMC for media server, and Ubuntu pretty much support many printers, else check your driver CD of the printer for the ‘linux’ driver.

I hope this helps!

• Steve Chi

LINUX SERVER

• Shane La Horie

Thanks guys for all your help and assistance…

• Mohamed Jimee

I prefer you use, microsoft server

• Fernando Garza

You should use Windows Server 2008 if you have the money to buy it but if you do not want to spend any money go for Linux.

• Abidhusain Momin

Go for Centos or Debian Server. This both flavor are widely used and also have best support via forum & other. You can use simple dhcp to VPS / Cloud environment.

• Dylan Brendan

Linux is great.. Especially Ubuntu!

Amahi (http://www.amahi.org) would probably suit your needs, as would OpenMediaVault …

• Shane La Horie

Thanks guys for all your responses. I’m still not sure what to do so i think that i can get to do all those things on win 7 i’ll just install what ever 3rd party software i need to.

• Saurav Azad

go for linux server redhat/fedora