Why do I see a series of blocked ‘A’s in email and some Safari messages and how to get rid of them?

Richard Dornblaser August 6, 2012

In some of my iCloud Mail and some Safari texts “Blocked ‘A’s” replace most of the text. In mail, if I go to >View >Message >and click on Alternative Text, the ‘A’ s convert to original text.

There is no provision in Safari. How do I get rid of the ‘A’s?

This "blocked A" indicates a font problem on your system. Usually it's either a font conflict or a damaged installed font.

1. open up "Font Book.app" from your Application folder
    2. select the collection "All Fonts"
    3. click on one of the fonts and press cmd + A (select all)
    4. in the menu select "File > Validate Fonts"
    * on errors follow the on-screen instructions
    5. with all fonts select right-click in the selection and click "Resolve Duplicates"

After a restart of your Mac the fonts should be working again.

If this doesn't work open "Terminal.app" and issue the command "sudo atsutil databases -remove" (you will be prompted for the admins/your password). Again, restart the Mac and test it.

• Richard Dornblader

Thank you very much Mike. Your remedy worked. I basically went back to all the original files that were not damaged.

An interesting note is that not only was the 'Blocked A' problem resolved; also resolved was the problem of, an Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 that crashed upon launching, even after a re-install. Again, Thank you. redornblaser

• Richard Donblaser

Thank you Mike, your solution worked great. Not only did it resolve the basic problems, BUT it also resolved the problem of the crashing of Adobie Photoshop Elements 10 upon launching. Really appreciated your help. dornie