Should I maintain separate Twitter accounts for personal connections and work-related networking?

Saikat March 31, 2011

I wanted to know if it helps to have multiple Twitter accounts? Maintaining one is difficult enough and Twitter is about building relationships. So in this scenario, does it really help to have one account for personal relationships and another that focuses on work related networking?

1. Roy

There are pros and cons either way, but I would advise keeping some separation between business and personal Twitter accounts. There is always the possibility that a topic will catch your interest which someone else might find controversial. Perhaps it could be a topic that is social, political, religious, etc. Many times these are the sorts of issues on which people feel most compelled to express an opinion, especially in a public medium such as Twitter.

While each of us is certainly entitled to our opinions on such subjects, and has the right to express those opinions, they usually aren't pertinent to our business networking endeavors. It's fairly likely that some of the people who are our business contacts will feel just as strongly about the same subjects, but with other perspectives. Bringing these topics up in a business networking scenario is not necessarily conducive to the purpose of networking. It might even be detrimental. There are individuals with whom one is compatible professionally, but who will not see eye-to-eye on personal issues. Thus, it's a good idea to keep the two separate.

• Saikat Basu

Thanks for the reply, Roy. I see your point about the 'sensitive' topics. I can also understand that Twitter can get cluttered easily, so it's best to keep accounts separate.