How can I send and receive faxes from a computer?

pceasies June 11, 2010

I have a friend starting a business and he is looking for some software or app to send faxes from the computer and probably receive them too. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any of the websites that offer the ability and hopefully know of a relatively inexpensive website.

1. Wilfredomira

If you are a windows user, you will see in your printers drivers that there is a print called fax. Just print any file to that printer and you can send faxes.

Yo can also receive faxes if you open that printer from the control panel. When your phone rings you just accept the call and you will start receiving your fax.

Wilfredo Mira

2. Jessica Cam W.

Like Aibek said, free software or apps usually append ads in your faxes so commercial software might be the way to go. For a start, try Fax Machine, which got 3.5 stars from CNET users.

You can also see a comparison chart for other programs here.

pceasies,

If it's for a business I would recommend going with a professional provider that costs money. The free ones usually don't guarantee delivery and often add ads to the faxed material.

Also, if you live elsewhere apart from the US, you will have a hard time finding websites to do this. I have been looking for sites to send Faxes in Australia, but I never found one that works - they are all US based.

Hey Jack,

I don't get how is the location matters in this case? It seems to me the way this services work is that they give you a phone number that can receive your fax and then forward it to your email address. Similarly, you can send an attachment to provided email and deliver your fax to anywhere you like.

• Jack Cola

It does, because they only allow to send and receive from US numbers. A number of times I had to send a fax to a company, and most of these online services only send them to US numbers, not Australian numbers.

Therefore, if I wanted to receive a fax, the person sending the fax will have to call a Overseas number - and I doubt many people will do that.

5. Saikat Basu

We have covered quite a numberof websites which have Fax services. Here are the links:
    5 Free Online Services to Send an Email to a Fax Machine
    How To Scan and Fax Documents Online for Free
    And others are collated here in the directory.