What is the best way to send Adobe Photoshop files keeping the .psd format?

Becky Bowman August 8, 2012

I am teaching Adobe Photoshop to high school students this year and need the students to send me their homework in the Photoshop format.

Does anyone know of the best way for them to send them to me? I have 20 students and they will each send me 3 assignments a week. School starts soon and I still haven’t figured out the best way. Thanks.

1. kumar raja

u can send this with by converting it in .zip format u can use it in another system if phoshop is installed dont need other

2. Raj

http://jumbofiles.com/ this site will help your needs

• Becky Bowman

Thank you for sharing this site with me. Right now I have gone with Dropbox, but jumbofiles is so easy to use that I will certainly consider it. Beckky

3. jrasulev

At least you can shrink file with .rar archiver

4. Bibek Kunwar

Have a look at this all things related too computer http://borntobehacker.wordpress.com/

5. Burhan Ahmed

https://www.yousendit.com

It handles large file sizes for free. It is specifically designed for sending large emails

6. Oron

Email is not going to be a viable option, due to the file size and number of files. The best solution if you can manage it would be to set up a shared network drive, e.g. on a school server, Depending on the system (Windows, Mac etc) you will need to set up permissions on that drive to prevent the students from messing up each-others' files (on the Mac you need a "drop box" folder, not to be confused with the product called Dropbox!).
    If you can't get access to such a drive, your best bet is to use file sharing services, such as the ones mentioned by others, or my favourite, minus.com which is easy to use, has a generous allocation and allows you to password protect files or folders. Each of your students can create their own account, upload the fie and send you the link to it for download purposes, and if you need to return the files, you can upload them to your own account and send them the relevant link. Good luck!

• Becky Bowman

Minus is a great service and is very easy to you. I like the Adobe Send Now Service and am going to sit down tomorrow and make a final choice. Thanks for your help.

7. Âdil Farôôq

Through Email after zipping it.

8. Bojan Živkovi?

You can also use Adobe Send Now service, it is free for files up to 100MB https://www.acrobat.com/sendnow/en/pricing.html

• Becky Bowman

Thanks for telling me about this service. I tried it out and it works very well for photoshop files. I think the free service will allow the students to upload files large files with no problems. I need to spend some time evaluating the choices. Thanks so much.

9. Lambvolution

compressed the file with winzip or similar application and send the file with mediafire

10. Justin Pot

Dropbox et al could probably work but I suspect you'll quickly run out of space and asking students to compress their files might be more trouble than it's worth (many students won't understand the basics of what compression is).

Minus is an extremely simple site your students could use for sending you images, though. Give it a shot:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/extremely-simple-file-sharing-10gb-free-online-storage/

I'll let you know if I think of anything else. This is a great question.

• Becky Bowman

Justin,
      I had never heard of Minus so I checked it out. I was able to upload a .psd file with no problems but when I tried to download the file the extension was changed to .psd.bin and I was unable to open it. I've emailed Minus to see what they say. Thanks for your reply. Becky

• Justin Pot

Sounds like the download didn't finish.

Compressed with 7zip or the like, if they are too big for email.

12. Bogkntan Antrei Krintea

I agree with Bruce,

Out of all 3 Skydrive has the largest amount of memory available by default.

As an email attachment unless they are too large for it. If that is the case, through shared folders on Google Drive, Skydrive, Dropbox, or a similar service.

• Becky Bowman

Bruce, I'm trying to figure out the shared file system in Dropbox. I'm a big fan of Dropbox and I realized that if I got all of my students to sign up I would bet an additional 10gb of space! Dropbox does support photoshop .psd files so this would be good. I've contacted dropbox to see how to let my students share a file with me without them having access to my personal account. (Not that the little darlings wouldn't change my account or anything like that. :) ) They'd have me locked out in a heartbeat so I've got to spend some time figuring it out. Thanks for your reply. Becky