How can I select a user to log into Windows without a mouse?

Gerald Herzog August 17, 2010

My friend has a computer set up for multiple users, but lost his wireless mouse and asked me to help.

How do you start Windows when you have to click on a user to start and don’t have a mouse?

Or, you could just by a corded mouse for like $10 and use that as a replacement until you find your wireless mouse. Because without a mouse, once you have logged in, it would be pretty pointless and hard to surf the internet without a mouse anyway.

Gerald,

So, did you try using the TAB key?

Aibek

3. joseph

use the TAB key on your keybooard

4. Steve Campbell

Tab, Ctrl, Alt, and Enter keys work wonders when you don't have a mouse. If the account you're trying to access is password protected, try hitting the arrow keys to get the prompt up so you can type the password and hit enter.

If you're just looking to select an icon try Tab. You should see a perforated outline of a box on the icon and you could hit Enter to "click the button".

Gerald,

you should be able to select a user with the keyboard. I cannot test this right now, but I would try the TAB key (typically found above CAPS LOCK) or the arrow keys. Once the desired user is selected, hit ENTER, enter the password and hit ENTER again.

Please let us know if it worked.

• Gherzog

I tried all the arrow keys, including those on the key pad, but got no action. Didn't try the TAB key.
      Thanks for the suggestion.