Why can’t I select a disk to install Windows 7 to?

Ergun Serdaroglu October 31, 2012

I am trying to install Windows 7 on my Windows XP computer. I have no problems with booting and getting it to load the setup wizard, but when it comes to choosing a device (local disk) nothing appears. I have tried manual installation which also won’t work.

I would appreciate some help, where am I going wrong?

1. Shahbaz Amin

You have to look into BIOS settings... :/
    Is there any chance there could be some USB drive is plugged in? Try unplugging any external drives and then try to boot?

Hello, can you explain a little bit more about your system? More info would be needed, such as how many harddrives are installed, where are you trying to install, is there enough space available, are harddrive/harddrives partitioned, etc.

If you are trying to install windows 7 on an old IDE harddrive, it can cause this issue.

If you're installing a new drive for Windows 7, some old SATA I controllers can't detect a SATA II/III drive.You may have to install a SATA II/III controller card to plug drive into. Many suggest changing Bios HD settings from AHCI to IDE. If Windows XP is on a SATA drive this will make system non-functional.

4. Erlis Dhima

Go to your BIOS setup and change from AHCI to IDE.. (As some others said.)
    If still don't work, probably you need to perform a formatting of your HDD, connecting it with another computer.. But I think the problem is with the change from AHCI to IDE. (I had the same problem with my cousin computer!)

5. Benson Sanchez

change Bios HD setting from AHCI to IDE

6. Dimal Chandrasiri

windows 7 disc has not detected any disk drivers in your system! I had an issue, where I tried it on an old PIV pc and it said the dirvers for the disk is not there! no idea what is going on!

7. dhanunjayarao chunduri

please specify your computer configuration.

8. Harish Jonnalagadda

Change the way your HDD is configured. This way, it can be recognized by the Win 7 boot manager.

9. Charles Yost

If this is the only problem that you have had, then you are lucky. It was a nightmare for me to upgrade from XP to Win 7 on my old laptop. I had to update so many device drivers and even some software. I bet once you get past this issue, you are going to have a lot more to deal with. Do you have an external hard-drive to back-up your files? I think that Win 7 will recommend it.

10. Douglas Mutay

The way the OS is seeing the HDD in Vista and 7 is different from XP. You should go to your BIOS and change your HD setting from AHCI to IDE.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

This should fix your issue:)

try to update drivers on windows xp.

perhaps to use partition magic and rebuild the Partition table
    http://www.partitionmagic.biz/partition-recovery-with-partition-magic.html

this is for vista perhaps solution can be applied for 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520

Dynamic disks appear as Foreign when they are added to the system. To use the volumes, you must import the Foreign disks and then bring the volumes Online.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771775.aspx

Change Jumper Settings, or if you have other hard drives and usb drives just disconnect them in order to install windows 7.

12. ferdinan Sitohang

It is because win 7 is not detect any HD. You need to change the HD setting from BIOS. Go to BIOS and go through HD setup and change from AHCI to IDE. It will solve your problem

Are you trying to install on seperate partition on a single HDD or on a second HDD and what type of drive (PATA or SATA)? What type of install - upgrade or new install? If second HDD, is it detected in BIOS or Windows XP?

Are you attempting to do an upgrade (running the installer from inside XP) or are you doing a clean install of the OS (booting from the DVD)? What type (IDE, SATA, etc) and size is your hard drive and is it configured as part of a RAID array (either software or hardware)? If it is connected to a RAID controller, you may need to force the installer to load controller specific drivers before it will find your disk(s).