How to select bookmarks in Google Chrome with keyboard shortcuts?

Matt Penner May 5, 2010

My one deal breaker with switching to Chrome is that I can’t (as far as I know) open bookmarks using only my keyboard. I have hundreds of bookmarks in Firefox and use several of them daily to handle repetitive tasks. I can open one in less than a second using a couple of keyboard combinations and I never have to reach for the mouse.

As far as I have been able to find you can’t do this built-in with Chrome or with an extension. I haven’t checked in a while so this may have changed.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to solve this that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Matt

1. Jessica Cam W.

You can use Xmarks to transfer/sync your bookmarks along with their keywords from Firefox to Chrome, but you should be able to import all your Firefox bookmarks (keywords too) when you're installing Chrome as well.

Example: I used to type in 'fb' in Firefox's Awesome bar, press Enter and be directed to Facebook.com automatically. After I transferred my bookmarks using Xmarks, I can now use type 'fb' in Chrome's URL bar and get redirected to Facebook immediately. I don't know about creating new bookmarks with keywords in Chrome though.

yep, that same trick worked for me. I create the Keyword searches on
      Firefox and then transfer them to FF using Xmarks.

• Jessica Cam W.

Actually, after some Googling, I found that you can right-click on the Address bar in Chrome, select 'Edit search engines' and edit the keywords to your bookmarks! Then when you use your bookmark keyword, you can press Tab (or just enter a space) to insert your search term in the address bar.

btw, just like Firefox Chrome supports 'Keyword Search' feature. Although you will have to create it in Firefox and then manually add it to Chrome :-)

3. Taty

Hi Matt
    As far as I know, you do control + shift + b to open bookmarks and either tab it to the right one or type the first 3 letters to find what you want. If you meant to have a shortcut for a particular bookmark, I'm not aware of how to do that. The best I can think of is to add those you use the most to your bookmark bar on the top of the browser, that way you can find them with control + b and just one click.