What security features are in Radmin remote access software?

Oleg11 K February 13, 2014

I found a site, http://www.radmin.com/ remote access to the computer. But one thing that bothers me is people who are able to hack into your account and get access to my computer. Does anyone know what security features have this program?

Radmin is secure, but it can and indeed is used by hackers and virus writers. I have had to remove viruses which used radmin on more than one ocassion...

• Bruce E

Any remote control/access/administration tool can be used by hackers and most in existence have been used by them for nefarious purposes. But in the vast majority of cases, the end user has to install it in an insecure manner for a hacker to gain access to their system or they have to fall for social engineering attacks to allow this access to their systems. If the software is installed with SANE settings, getting hacked via this software is highly unlikely. After all, there are enough controls there to make it very difficult for unauthorized individuals to get in.

• Oron J

You're right of course, Bruce, to say that the safe remote access tools can be good or dangerous, depending on how they are used.

My point was that while Radmin is secure in the sense that it uses encryption and a password, it is different from most other remote-access tools in that it is available as a component for integration into other programmes. As such, it is malware writers, and users may well be suspicious of it being found on anything that isn't primarily a remote-support tool.

"Radmin works in encrypted mode where all data, screen images, mouse movements and keyboard signals are encrypted using 256-Bit AES strong encryption with randomly generated keys for each connection to remote computer. For user authentication Radmin can use either Windows security with Active Directory and Kerberos support, or its own security with individual user permissions and secure login/password authentications. Radmin security uses Diffie-Hellman based key exchange with 2048-bit key size. Additional IP filters restrict access to specific hosts and networks." - found on the radmin website.