How can I securely send someone my bank details?

techandlife April 11, 2011

I’m a freelancer and I often need to send clients my bank account details so they can make an electronic payment. Given that email isn’t very secure, what is the best way to get these details to a client

You can send 2 emails, a password protected files, then a second email that has the meaning to open it.

1). Password Protect the File - .

2) Encrypt the File

3)Send to them the required info to open them.

• techandlife

Yes I see how I could do this. A self-decrypting password protected Axcrypt file with the bank details attached to the first email, then a second email with the password. Hopefully it wouldn't be too much trouble for the clients. Thanks

• Oron Joffe

This is not really secure since, if your email is intercepted once, there's no reason to think it won't be intercepted again. However, you could provide the password over the phone...

• Julie

I send my bank details in an SMS. Whilst SMS is not 100% secure, it is a lot more secure than email.

TL,

I would consider using PayPal or an equivalent online payment system where possible.

You could also encrypt your emails to increase security.

• techandlife

Thanks Tina. I do accept PayPal payment as an option as well but most clients seem to prefer bank transfer... so far. Encrypting emails may be the answer.

• Mike Merritt

Here in Canada, I use Interac email transfer. All the sender has to know is an email address for me. He makes me a "payee" (like setting up to pay a Utility bill) and does an email transfer of funds to me. ... I get an email from Interac and then deposit the funds to my Bank Account by electronically logging in. More ?? mikemail (at) businesssellcanada (dot) com