How to secure a wireless connection using a WPA on a MacBook?

Haley Warren August 3, 2011

I have a WEP, but I’m told that’s not good enough. How do I secure my wireless connection using a WPA or something more than a WEP?

Hello, if you have a recent router it probably is compatible with wpa/wpa2.  If your router is older, chances are it does not provide wpa as security....unless there is a firmware update for it.  To access your router, you will have to open your browser and type your gateway address.  I should look something like:  http://192.168.xxx.xxx.  To find out what your gateway address is open command prompt:

-- click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type: cmd
    -- once command prompt is open type the following:

ipconfig /all

Find out what your gateway address is and type it on your browser like shown above.  Once the settings for your router open find the security section of your settings and if your router supports wpa change it there

The wireless security settings are not on your computer, they're on your router. You'll need to access the router configuration page to change them. Can you tell us what make/model your router is?