How can I secure my network?

Ben Franke July 23, 2011

My network is unsecured. I’m using a Sagemcom router and Sky broadband.

Or check out following MakeUseOf article,

How To Secure Your Wireless Network Connection
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/secure-your-wireless-network-here-is-why-and-how/

Secure your network from what? I presume you mean in general from snooping and hacking so I'll need to be a bit vague. (Feel free to reply with questions on specifics). I wrote a guide that's on my site about securing your network, feel free to read it http://bit.ly/nnnkuz

First things first, enable encryption. Not just any encryption! WPA or WPA-2. To enable encryption, log into your router. Encryption will isolate packets (data) sent from your computer to the outside world, preventing snoopers from reading your data in clear text. 
    Next, enable Mac Address Filtering. Again, this will be in your router. Add your Mac Address (it is usually set as a default) and any others you want to be able to access your network. There may be a table listed there of recently connected mac addresses, which you may whitelist if you trust them. 

After that, setup a firewall. If you're looking for true security, don't use Windows Firewall as it's still primitive. I highly recommend Comodo's Firewall and Online Armor's firewall (free version will sufice). 

Then change your router password. Make it very secure (at least 10 characters, no strings, not your birthday/pet names/other guessables). 

If your router supports it, disable SSID broadcasting. That way, attackers (performing a quick scan) won't even see your router. Note: You can still detect a router that isn't broadcasting an SSID. 

So that's the top security percussion. You can also install a VPN to encrypt your transmissions from your system to your router and outbound. 

- Enable encryption (WPA/WPA2)
    - Enable MAC & IP Filtering (and whitelist your systems)
    - Install a firewall 
    - Change your router password
    - Disable SSID broadcasting

Although there is some truth in SSID hiding I personally would refrain from doing so.

Disabling SSID broadcasting is not within the Wireless standard and could cause problems as in some devices not able to connect to the network (Android devices often have that problem).

Also the added security is somewhat obsolete and overshadowed by the downsides.
      (1) Most wireless scanners on the internet are capable of detecting hidden networks
      (2) When you add a hidden network to the "known networks" list your computer will broadcast the SSID in PLAIN TEXT until it finds it or is connected to another network. 

That basically means that the roles have just been switched ~ instead of the Router it's your computer broadcasting the name.