What are the best search engine directories?

Darrul Stocks October 6, 2012

I was wondering what are the best search engine directories to submit my website to? I’m also after the best quality backlinks.

1. Dave Rimmer

Yea same here I would go with Google...

2. Erlis Dhima

I would give you a similar answer like Mac Witty..
    But, what I do with my site:
    I create articles with a very clever title (at least I try..). This means, a title that would explain in short words the content.. Also I think of what or how people would search for it.. After doing this, I share my article in any other sites the page is linked to.. (In my case Facebook & Twitter!) After sharing, people who like those articles, share them, comment, like etc.. This brings more people.. This is in other words what Mac said about organics.. You get more real people!
    About directories, here the concept is a little misunderstood!
    Sites like Yahoo! are directories.. Google, Bing etc are portals!
    If you do a good quality article (with some hints I gave you above), after some days after you did the post (maybe sooner), your post will appear in google if you search for it...
    If you install a addon in firefox called: Web Of Trust
    you will see that the pages that have more organics are more trusted.. And if some people use this addon, they will open with pleasure the link to your article!
    To recap, don't do spamming! Just try to do good articles, and people will come by themselves to them... :)

3. Another Googler

google , yahoo , bing , dmoz.

4. Muo TechGuy

Since most of the answers here don't understand what a directory is, I better step in here with some advice. Mac Witty's answer is also superb; ignore the rest.

Directories are old news I'm afraid; in fact, getting a link in a directory may actually detrimental because of "negative SEO", though that's debatable. We do know for certain that a directory link wont help you at all.

Here's how to get backlinks: make content people WANT to link to.

5. Boni Oloff

SE Directories? I think just add your website for submission in the normal search engine is enough..

6. Rashelle Puno

The undisputed GOOGLE!!! yahoo and bing is good also...

7. Edwin Williams

Google, Bing, and Scholarpedia for peer-review.

8. Calle Sweden

Google is the best, but if you want privacy use http://duckduckgo.com/

Google is best as it provides webmasters with various tools to asses thier site's standings via adsense,pageranking etc.. So,Google is a must for your site's overall growth tracking.

10. Mac Witty

The best quality links are the one you get organic when other sites link to you because you produce good content.
    Do not try to fool the search engines by buying links or spamming forums, etc. The risk is high that it does not pay and you get into the "sandbox"

11. Nikhil Chandak

for dictionary
    i would say
    Wikipedia.org

12. Harish Jonnalagadda

Google and Bing. And also DuckDuckGo.

13. Vishal Mishra

yes google is the best choice, but you can also give a chance to http://www.duckduckgo.com

14. Josiah Brunne

Yes, Google.

15. Amit Sinha

There are lot of search engines but one the top and used by almost everyone in the world is "Google".