How do I search for content only in my bookmarked sites?

pachame13 December 12, 2010

I wonder if we can search content within all our favorites/bookmarks. As if we were using Google just for our favorite sites and not the entire web. You see, I have dozens of specific library sites already bookmarked that I would like to search for content.

1. Pudendum

You can use http://historio.us/, it does exactly that and very well.

2. Adam Charles Uk

Some ppl aren't getting what the guy is asking.. That is, instead of searching the WHOLE web as in a normal search, and having to sift through pages and pages of crap before you find what you want, to narrow it down to those websites you have stored as Favourites/Bookmarks. So, not the actual bookmark: the content within the bookmarked sites. Please help, I'm a firefox user and it is a nightmare having to go through a list of hundreds of websites, when 90% of the time, the best results are found within my favourite websites. I think this phenomenon is particular to professionals or students who frequent a few good websites for information.

3. ANDREI T

I discovered Google subscribed links which seems even cooler as it allows you to subscribe rss feeds and will show results within the posts indexed by rss. If your sites have different feeds for different topics you can pick and choose.

4. ANDREI T

If you want to search within a static list websites you can use Google custom search (http://www.google.com/cse/manage/create). Once you created your custom search, copy the script in notepad and save the document as .htm. You can use it locally or in you public dropbox folder (ex: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4327753/public%20websites/test.htm).

This will not automatically update with your new bookmarks, though.

Opera Browser also has "search bookmarks" and "search history" in the adress bar. They both work for pages not websites.

5. Thecoolest92

No, the above methods are useful to search among the pages we have bookmarked but here i think the question is how to search within the whole site among the sites we have bookmarked for eg. i have makeuseof.com as a bookmark as well as lifehacker.com- now instead of visiting these sites separately and searching in their search engines, don't have any option that lets me search within both simultaneously??

6. user

use this rollyo.com

7. Mohitk117

If you're using Firefox browser: then CTRL+B .... that's the shortcut for bringing up browser bookmarks in your sidepane, and then there's a search bar on the top... you can search there only for bookmarked links...

Which browser are you using?

Searching only within your bookmarks is actually possible in Firefox 3 and up. What you do is type your search into your address bar. Watch for the results in the drop-down menu that appears.

All entries with a star next to them are items from your bookmarks. This works best if you assigned tags to your bookmarks, as you can search those, too. Unfortunately, you can not search for folders.

When you hit enter instead of choosing one of the results that came up, Firefox will redirect the search to Google, just like Chrome has been doing it, or open the best match.

Jessica wrote an article on How To Search Google Chrome Bookmarks By Folders.

How-To Geek has an article that explains how to set up a IE Favorites Search in Windows 7 or Vista.