Why does my Seagate GoFlex USB hard drive not come up in My Computer in Windows 7?
Question by Max /

I have Seagate GoFlex USB 2.0, which I had used many times in my old computer (Windows XP) with no problems. However, I recently bought a new Windows 7 laptop and when I plug it in, although the computer does recognize the hard drive is plugged in (I have found references to it elsewhere), it does not show up in My Computer or come up automatically.

Does anyone know how to fix this or access the files on the hard drive in another way?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Awesome Gadgets
Awesome Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion

• jay

That thread did not help me in the slightest. I have the exact same problem but the suggested fix does not appear to be the issue.

• Susendeep Dutta

It might be a driver issue.Go to device manager and locate your external HDD.Check whether it has yellow exclamation mark or not and if yellow exclamation mark is present then visit your manufacturer's site to get drivers for it.

Windows may be configured to hide drives from Explorer and My Computer
      Click Start->Run, enter regedit to open the Registry Editor
      Navigate to key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
      Policies\Explorer
      find value named NoDrives. right click NoDrives then delete it and reboot to unhide all drives

perhaps usb port blocked in BIOS
      1. Reboot your computer
      2. Enter BIOS
      3. Select Advanced
      4. Select USB Configuration and press enter
      5. Select the option to enable USB ports

• Sadface

Same problem here :(

• Susendeep Dutta

It might be a driver issue.Go to device manager and locate your external HDD.Check whether it has yellow exclamation mark or not and if yellow exclamation mark is present then visit your manufacturer’s site to get drivers for it.

• niles

bump!

Niles,

I'm afraid this is not a forum and the question won't jump to the top of the list if responded to. So a 'bump' doesn't work.

If you have a similar issue, I recommend asking a new question. This is your best chance of getting it solved.

• Max

Hi sorry it's taken me so long to reply but with exams etc I've only just had the time to try and sort this. I've had a look at the article and it still doesn't seem to be working for me. The device doesn't show up at all on disk management and although it does show up on device management there isn't anything that it lets you do to it. :/

• Jess

This is the same thing happening to me. Did you figure it out or should I return the hard drive for a different one?

• Mann

I am also facing same situation. HDD not at all getting detected. I can't replace it bcoz my important data is there.
      Did you figure out issue?

Max,

we recently had a very similar question: Why is my Seagate Go Flex external hard drive not recognized?

It sounds like this is a driver issue. Please follow the suggestions left in reply to the above question and report back here whether or not this solved your problem. Thank you!