Why is my SD card not showing its full capacity?

ali October 30, 2014

Hi guys I have 16 GB SD memory card which shows 31 MB. I tried formatting by many steps but no result.

I tried using cmd diskpart and hit enter list disk, select disk “H”, create partition primary.

I tried with Disk Manager but no result. Please help me! How do I get my 16gb back?

There are several possibilities here, and Jan covered most of them. The HP tool Jan mentions is probably the best tool out there to restore the drive.

It is also possible that your card is faulty or even fake. Run Windows Disk Management and check what size it reports the card as. If it is reported as less than 16GB, there's nothing you can do about it.

2. Jan F.

If you have a full size SD card check the write-protection notch on the side. Even if it is off (no protection) just flip it on and off again. On occasion this fixes such issues.

Try formatting it using the HP USB Disk Storage Tool. In some cases it is able to perform where other tools fail.
    http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html