Why is my SD card not recognized by my computer?

Arlene November 29, 2010

I am trying to load pictures from my computer onto a Kodak SD card, but when I insert the card nothing happens. It doesn’t show up on my computer.

1. UconnJim

If you have an earlier version of an SD card reader, you may not use the SD-HC cards with it as they are "high capacity" SD. I found that out when I inserted a (older & specifically) "SD" card my reader works fine but the "SD" cards sold presently are of the SD-HC technology and not backwards compatible. A way around this is to purchase an external USB card reader that is SD-HC and off you go.

2. Sumanta Kumar Show

I am facing a problem in detecting memory card through a MICROSD adapter in a

computer. The memory card is connected to an ATMEGA32 microcontroller which

in turn is again connected with a RS232 port to connect with the computer using

MAX232 receiver. So when I am applying power to the Microcontroller the computer

is not able to detect the memory card. Is there any driver file necessary to install so

that the PC is able to detect the memory card. Please give your suggestions

regarding the problem.

Sumanta

Yup, a driver is required. You will need to write a driver that tells your computer how to connect to your device out there (the microcontroller) and communicate to it that it wants to access the MicroSD attached to it. Since you are running a custom device, you need to write your own driver to be able to access it. The development tools available for the microcontroller should provide help in the process required to create this driver.

It's kinda like the back in the 90s when custom drivers were required to run tape drives off of floppy disk controllers...

• Sumanta Kumar Show

I have checked in the internet but has not able to found the driver

file. Can you tell me some links where from I can download the

software. Its very urgent. Hoping to get your response.

Sumanta

I am working off of the assumption that you have programmed the microcontroller to perform some kind of function. The computer has no clue what this function is. It is your responsibility to WRITE the driver to tell the computer how to communicate with the device. You cannot download the driver, you have to MAKE the driver yourself.

3. El Hound

I have Windows Vista,

my internal Card Reader works occasionally.
    but I get frustrated, I have no clue how get it to work.

I restart the computer multiple times. occasionally it just works.
    and after a few months it doesn't.

no matter what card I insert. SD or other types, it won't respond.

I'm going to smash it soon.

It might be the case that the reader slot is faulty.Contact the manufacturer for support and if under warranty replace your laptop.

4. Dtextmaint

Sometimes when I open an e-mail on a HTC phone it downloads then gives me the option to save on my SD card and I tap that and it says saved to a SD card and I have no clue where its at or how to find these pics and e-mails. Can someone help plz

You can try clearing data for the app you use to fetch emails,move the app to sd card if possible and try to fetch all the mails.

5. Kerry11

my card is not detected by my pc but works perfectly fine on other pc and even my phone. how can this be solved???? 

Hello, I guess the only thing you could do is to get a memory card that is compatible with your pc when you get another one.  Is is that the card is not compatible with your system? or is it that the card is not recognized?  Or Does it give you errors when you try to read it?

7. Ravindragour93

HEY i m facing a problem ...my sd card is not supprted by my pc so plz suggest me .......................what should i do?

8. Shivani Verma

my memory card is neither detected in a pc nor in a mobile... what to do

Shivani,

please have a look at previous questions and answers around this topic: http://goo.gl/L1fLc

Unfortunately, memory cards to break and unless you want to invest into a professional recovery service, sometimes there is nothing you can do yourself.

9. Padsd

is there not a run command for this?

10. Ryan

I have a MSI Wind netbook with a SD card slot and sometimes it wouldnt recognize my SD card either. All I did to "fix" this issue (which seems to be an ongoing issue) was to 1) shut down the computer. 2) Pull out the battery in the MSI Wind netbook. 3) Hold the power button down for about 10 seconds to drain all residual power. 4) insert battery and restart.

Now if this is a desktop computer, you could try powering down the computer, opening it up and disconnect the card reader from the motherboard (connects to a USB port on the mother board) and then power it up without it being plugged in. Once its done booting, shut it down again and reconnect the card reader back to the mother board. This might "reset" it and get it working again. I hardly doubt its a corrupted data/bad SD card problem, but a hardware/software issue. Thats just in my personal experience however.

11. Smanuva

May be your locked your SD card with password

• Alok Dreamer

thanks great help dude.........

12. Bhavesh

Hope your card is not corrupted; is your card reader recognized by the pc? can you try another sd card and to see if its recognized? or windows is missing a driver. Try your sd on another windows based pc or try on a linux system.

try this, Insert the card with the reader and reboot, see if new drivers will be loaded.

When your card is not recognized or will not mount, the recovery software doesn't know how to reach your card. It's impossible for the software to access the contents of the flash-memory chip.

if you really want it then try this service which is not free: Recoverfab recovery process: If the flash storage device is not recognized in the PC or it is impossible to access the data on it, there is only one way to get the data, unsolder the memory chip and directly access their raw data with a programmable chip reader.
    http://card-recovery.biz/us/service.php

if Card reader not being detected by the PC:

STEP 1 - Connect the reader to the PC

NOTE: It is recommended that you plug your card reader to the back USB port on your PC to ensure that there is enough power from the USB port for the card reader to be detected properly.

STEP 2 - Check under Device Manager
    1. Right-click My Computer.
    2. Select Manage.
    3. On the left pane, click Device Manager.

NOTE: The card reader will appear in two places: Disk Drives and Universal Serial Bus controls as USB Mass Storage. If there is a yellow exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) next to the device, try to refresh the drivers.

STEP 3 - Refresh the drivers
    1. Right-click the entry with the error mark, select Uninstall.
    2. On the top menu, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.

STEP 4 - Verify if the reader is detected
    1. Double-click My Computer.
    2. Look for the card reader under Devices with removable storage.

SOLUTION 3 - Try other USB ports.

or
    1. Check if the device is getting detected in device manager. Follow the steps to go to device manager

i. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

ii. Search for the name of the device

If the device is not getting detected in device manager, then check if it is hidden device.

i. Click show hidden devices under View

ii. expand all the nods under device manager

iii. There would be many grayed out entries in device manager uninstall all the grayed out entries under all the nods and then restart the computer and plug the external device to the computer and check if it works

2. Install the latest drivers from the manufacturer website and even make sure the driver is compatible with the version of operating system installed on your computer. check if it works

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Install the driver in Compatibility mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

3. Check with any other another SD card if it is getting recognized or detected or you may even check if the same SD card is getting recognized or detected on other computer