Why did my SD card disable sound on my MacBook Air?

Maria Crouch October 20, 2014

Hello, I have a MacBook Air with Lion 10.7.4 installed.

I did not eject an SD Card properly from my laptop. I just pulled it out, after which my sound device malfunctioned. I have no more sound at all.

Is there any way to fix this issue? Thanks for your help!

Just to ask the trivially obvious, did you completely reboot your Mac since then? And another obvious thing, have you checked the volume and mute status (System Preference=>Sound)?

If you have, I'd suggest, in addittion to Hovsep's suggestion, that you reset the PRAM as well. To do this, shut down the MacBook, then switch it on and press the Command+Option+P+R simoultaneously until you hear the "ping" (I guess you may not hear it if the problem persists...), then keep the keys down for another cycle, then let the Mac start up normally.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
    Resetting the SMC does not reset, or otherwise change, the contents of PRAM, which is also known as NVRAM on Intel-based Macs.

3. Jan F.

I can't think of any connection between losing sound and pulling out the card. This would rather suggest a hardware issue where the action of pulling out the card loosened the connection of the speakers somehow.

Anyway, start by going into System Settings > Sound and make sure the "internal Speakers" are selected as output. Also control the volume level while you are there.

Another option you could try is a PRAM reset:
    Turn your computer on.
    Press and hold Command + Option(alt) + P + R before the gray screen
    keep them pressed until you hear the startup sound for the 2nd time
    release the keys and let your device start up

That should solve any software related issue with sound.

While it may be unrelated it is suggested to unplug headphones (or external speakers) before your device goes into sleep. This is known to cause the "output device" to get stuck.

You should also update your MBA to OS X 10.7.5, the latest Lion build.