Why is scrolling on the MakeUseOf homepage laggy?

Vipul J May 2, 2014

Is it just my system or is MUO website really tough on the browser?  Because if I open multiple tabs of Youtube, which is obviously feature rich, I feel no lag whatsoever.  But with MUO, the scrolling stutters big time.  The lag is low on individual articles but the homepage is seriously laggy!  Any solutions?

Specs : Intel i5 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, Win 7 Ultimate, NVIDIA GT 630M, Performance set to 100%, not using battery saving mode or something. Using Chrome.

1. Maarten D

It's best to load the page for a minute, than go scrolling directly.
    I think this is the case with much PC's, because i've tried it on several computers/tablets/phones.

I found that if you disable the adblockers the site loads aso a bit faster, but i don't know if you have them.

• Vipul J

I have ABP, but I've excluded MUO on it. I'll try opening the page and scroll after a minute.
      I just needed to know that my system wasn't slowing down.

The homepage loads more data the further you scroll down on the page. This makes the initial load of the page quicker, but if you rapidly scroll down the page, it needs to request more data from the servers so the page may stutter while the browser waits for the additional data to be delivered and rendered. When viewing articles on the site ti does the same thing, but only once while the homepage will do it repeatedly. YouTube pages are a static length as it doesn't change while you are scrolling, so a comparison their site design/presentation isn't looking at the same type of behavior.

• Vipul J

It actually even stutters at the very first scroll when the lower part has loaded.
      So I guess it's not the system but MUO is using a heavy template? Because sites like Facebook have unlimited scroll too but never lag.
      Or is it that the template is too heavy for my 1Mbps connection?

• Bruce E

The images on Facebook are quite a bit smaller than what we use on our homepage which would account for most of the difference there.