Why can I only see my screensaver when I connect my Mac to my flatscreen TV?

Teresa Perez February 17, 2011

This is the first time I connect my Mac to my TV screen. I connect it with the right cables (as told in Best Buy) to see the pictures I have on iPhoto, but I can only see the picture I have on my screensaver. Is there something that has to be done besides connecting it?

1. S.A

This isen't the best solution, but you must drag the things you would like to watch "out of your PC screen to the TV screen.

Like if you have a documnet open you need to drag it outside the screen and it will come in to the tv screen

Hi Teresa,

Were you able to figure out using recommendations above? Let us know if you need any further assistance on the issue.

Aibek

3. Ntnisaias

If it were a problem of windows I would say you need to update your drivers with drivergenius.

Hello, When you connect your tower to a TV is like connecting your computer to your monitor. The only difference is that you are using your TV as another monitor. Also, make sure to change the source of your video. LCDs have different sources like HDMI, VGA, composite, DVI, component, etc. For example, if you are using an HDMI cable, make sure to change your source to HDMI on your tv. Also, If you want to look at your pictures, follow the same steps you would follow when looking at your pictures in your computer's monitor.

I didn't quite get what you are trying to do so correct me if I'm wrong:
    You set up your screensaver to show pictures of your iPhoto Library, right?
    Now, when you connect your Mac to the TV the screensaver only works on the Mac itself but not the TV (maybe there is a message like "looking for pictures")?

Please post your Mac OS X Version and iPhoto Version.
    1. click on the Apple in the top left
    2. select "About this Mac"
    3. a small window should popup say "Mac OS X" and below the version

4. open up iPhoto
    5. in the menu bar click on iPhoto
    3. select "About iPhoto"

The first and best thing to do when having troubles with multiple monitors is:
    1. Shutdown your Mac
    2. connect the second display (Monitor, TV, ...) and make sure it's powered on
    3. start your Mac

It's also worth to look into the Monitors settings within System Preferences and see if everything is setup fine (worth to mention is you should have seperated setup windows for each display).

• Tculebra

Thank You Mike, this are the versions; Mac OS X version 10.6.6/ Iphoto Version 8.1.2 (424).
      I connect the computer to the TV, then i open IPhoto trying to see the pictures on the TV. I will like to be able to see pictures/slide shows in the tv screen. Is it possible

iPhoto will show the slide on the screen where it's main window is located.

With the default settings (Monitor and TV show different things, not mirrored) all you have to do is left-click the iPhoto window and drag it onto the second screen ~ in your case the TV ~ and then start the slideshow.

FYI the same applies to iTunes and iDVD