Why is the screen black after logging into Windows Vista on my laptop?

Donnella Love July 25, 2011

After I log into my Windows user account, my screen is black. When I try to shut it down, I have to do it using the on/off button. I am currently running Windows Vista on a HP Pavillion DV2000 system32 laptop. If someone can help, I would much appreciate.

Hello, usually when that happens it is because of your graphic card drivers.  The HP pavillion versions dv20000 all the way up to dv9000 usually carry and nvidia videocard.  If you can login normally to windows, make sure to get the most recent drives for that card.  

Can you log into safe mode? if yes use your repair cd to repaid windows, or activate windows restore point to goback when everything were fine.

or
    open device manager then click on dispaly adapters then right click on nvidia and choose uninstall then reboot an let windows to install a new driver for you