How do I scan a small article in a newspaper?

May 26, 2014

I want to scan a newspaper article and have forgot how to scan a small article. What kind of software or equipment will I need? And how will I use it in Windows?

1. kihara

Great answers above. Also, when using your smartphone, you can capture a great scan if you build your own "scan box". It only takes a few minutes. See this article for more details http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/build-smartphone-document-scanner/

2. Matt S

Oron covered it pretty well. Personally, I'd go with CamScanner, with has never failed me in such matters in the past. It's very quick, easy to use, and once you scan the document you can simply stick it in Google Drive or Dropbox to access it anywhere.

There are now lots of ways to do this. If you have a flatbed scanner, you can put the paper on it and scan it (details vary according to the scanner model and software). Now, this would simply create a picture of the page on your computer. If you want to convert the text to word-processable form, you'll need an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) package, such as Nuance OmniPage, Abbyy FineReader or the more limited versions often bundled with scanner software. Some versions of MS Office and Acrobat Professional also have OCR capabilities.

If you don't have a scanner but you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android), you can use an app such as CamScanner which will allow you to take a picture of the article, straighten and correct it and optionally, OCR it as well, before sending the results to yourself. For the OCR capability you'll need a premium app, but if you just want the image, there are many free apps that will do the job very nicely.

• Dalsan M

I think CamScanner can still be upgraded to the Pro edition for free if you use an "edu" email (student and teacher email account) to sign up. Works for both iOS and Android.