How can I save different view settings for different folders in Windows 7?
Question by imabookfreak /

I use different folders with different views. There’s one I have where I prefer large thumbnails and sorted alphabetically. Another I prefer the items listed, while sorted by date altered. Problem is, when I change the view and sort settings for a folder, it changes them for all folders.

My question is this: Is it possible to configure individual folders with their own sorting/viewing settings in Windows 7?

Hi

Change folder views and behavior
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-folder-views-and-behavior

How to modify your folder view settings or to customize a folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812003

1)Navigate to the folder that you want to apply it’s folder views to all folders with the same folder template as it.
    2) Make any changes to the Group by, Sort by, Stack by arrangement , Icon Size…
    3)Then open Folder Options from within this same folder (step 1) window and not through the Control Panel or from another folder!
    4)Click on the View tab, then click on the Apply to Folders button.
    NOTE: If the Apply to Folders button is grayed out, then you may have not opened Folder Options from within the same folder.
    5) Click on Yes to confirm

Whenever you open any folder with the same folder template as the folder from step 1, you will now see it have the same folder view

or
    1. Set Your Main Music Folder and All Subfolders to the General Items template.
    Right Click My Music Folder > Properties > Customize > Select General Items in drop-down and make sure to apply to all subfolders > OK
    2. Change to details view.
    Open My Music Folder > Change the view options to details view.
    3. Apply to All Folders Using General Items Template.
    Go to Organize > Folder & Search Options > View > Apply to All Folders
    4. Change My Music back to Music template w/out applying to subfolders
    Go Back up one directory (User Folder) > Right Click My Music > Properties > Customize > Change to Music Template (DO NOT APPLY TO SUBFOLDERS)
    5. Set view settings.
    Open My Music Folder > Change to Icon View, etc.
    6. If you’d like all folders that use the Music template to use the Icon view, then follow step 3 again.

ShellFolderFix – Manage folder window positions/size
    http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html

• Imabookfreak

Interesting… I akready had this configured. Apparently these settings are ignored if the folder is opened via the “Libraries” menu.
      Guess I’ll have to avoid using that from now on.
      Thanks for the help.

Thanks for your feedback!