How do I save MakeUseOf articles as PDF files?

Unustus June 13, 2014

How do I save MakeUseOf articles as PDF files? My memory is a mess!

So when I read one of your very useful articles, I’d like to save it as a .PDF file for future reference. But only the first page shows up in the .PDF file. The following pages are blank.

How can I save your gold mine of information?

• Unustus

Hovsep, it would have been such a relief if your suggestion had solved my problem. But alas, no. Why can I print pdf files from many other websites, but not MakeUseOf? I have problems with ebay as well, but I guess that is because of the different standard formats (A4 here, Letter I guess in the US).

Print Pages to PDF: Use Firefox To Print Webpages To PDF Files
      http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/print-pages-pdf-firefox-print-webpages-pdf-files/

• Unustus

Yes! This works! At long last an easy solution to my problem! Thank you SO much. But I still wonder why I have been able to save from other websites, just not from here. Never mind, I'm happy now.
      Thank you everybody who took part and tried to solve my problem.

can be a bug in firefox print preview functionality,
      I tried with print edit and it works but it takes some more steps to get it right, i thing you want one click solution:)
      if you use print edit addon
      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/print-edit/
      1) open your the article in print edit
      2) select whole article with your mouse
      3) click on Delete Except (on the toolbar) then choose Unrestricted
      4) Click Preview and you should see all article print pages

if you would like to close the thread as solved then from your makeuseof account select the best answer.

2. Chinmay S

Saving articles to PDF files is extremely easy. All you need to do is open that article in Chrome and press Ctrl + P.
    There you will see the options on the left side, also make sure that "Save as PDF" is selected under Destination.
    That's it. Hit Save and you are done.

• Unustus

I see that, Chinmay S - very neat! Unfortunately Chrome is not my standard browser, so again it would take a lot of extra work to do it your way. I use Firefox, and unless there's an add-on or something that would do the trick (but which I didn't find yet), my only option is to print to a pdf-file. And only the first page is saved, the rest are blank.
      How can Chrome do it so well, but FF be unable to deliver?

3. Unustus

Thank you, Oron. I have no problems with the free eBook downloads - my problem is the shorter articles, such as e.g. "9-tips-extend-androids-battery-life". I do have Calibre installed, and of course I can use it to read what eBooks I have (they are not many - if I can get my hands on an oldfashioned paper book, that's what I prefer), but what about the articles I get links to in your newsletters?

• Oron J

You're welcome Unustus. In that case, you'll need to use the "print to PDF" methods. First, install a PDF creator. There are many of them available, see a few suggestions below. Then:

• Highlight the body of the article (from the title to the end of the text
      • Press Ctrl+p (or choose "Print" from the menu)
      • Choose selection as your page range
      • Choose your PDF driver as your printer and click "OK" or "Print", as offered by your browser.
      • Save the document, and you're done!

PDF drivers
      There are plenty of good PDF creators abvailable for free. They all install a virtual printer which takes the print instructions and convert them to a PDF file. Personally, I'm partial to PDFill PDF Tools (Free), which does a lot beside PDF creation. Foxit Reader, which is a PDF reader, also includes such such a driver as a "goody" or you could use the excellent PDF Creator (but beware the adware that it tries to entice you into installing!). If you use a recent version of Adobe Reader or any version of the Adobe Acrobat suite then again, they include a "printer" for creating PDFs. Other popular choices include CutePDF, PDF 995, BullZIP PDF, doPDF and Primo PDF. Apologies to the hundreds of other PDF creators I ommitted to mention - it's no reflection on your quality.

• Unustus

Oron, I do have several PDF creators installed - PDF Creator (minus the adware; I'm very cautious in this respect), Nitro PDF Creator as well as Adobe, of course. So I tried your suggestion now, highlighting the body and printing the selection. But I didn't really get much better a result this way - I only got the first two pages now.
      I'm beginning to feel very frustrated and a total fool. I didn't think I was that hopeless, after all I've been around since the happy DOS and WP5.1 days - but this beats me.

Hovsep is correct. We have removed this option. You can download the files in ePub format and convert them to PDF using Calibre, or save the file in PDF format directly from the website as suggested by Dr Sunil (if you use Chrome, the option to save as PDF is built into the print command). The ePub route is likely to give you better results though, as the document is formatted properly for the purpose, excluding any navigational elements, sidebars etc.

• Unustus

I am probably very dense, but how do I download the files as ePub files? It's not my dream solution, and I rather think I'll try out impdf first, but just to be prepared I'd like to know this procedure.

• Oron J

It's not a "dense" question at all! Here's how:

• If the article is available for download as an ePub (by and large only the "howto" guides, such as the eBooks are), then there will be a "download" panel at the top right corner of the screen.
      • Within that section you will find two buttons: "ePub" and "Amazon". Click on the ePub button and your browser will prompt you to save or open it (unless it was configured very unusually). Choose Save and proceed to save it on your hard drive. I have a special folder for eBooks, which makes things easier, but exactly where you save it is up to you.

To convert it to PDF:

1. Download and install Calibre, which is a great program for managing eBooks anyway. The first time you run it you will need to configure it, which is not difficult but would take too long to explain here.
        2. Thereafter, run it, click "Add books", choose the book and open it.
        3. Once it has been added to your library, highlight it and click on "Convert books".
        4. Choose "PDF" as your output format and click [OK]. The file will now be saved in PDF format.
  5. Dr.sunil V

http://www.impdf.com/index.htm
    Save Blog to PDF file by ONE Click - ImPDF

• Unustus

Thank you - impdf seems an interesting program. But I still find it easier just to print as a pdf file (at least with my habits, and habits can be hard to change). But maybe I'll end up giving it a shot.

6. Unustus

Really? How tiresome. Why would they do that? I'm not fond of epub, and saving by printing to a pdf file is SO easy. But thank you for your answer.

i think they removed this option, and you can get epub then convert with freeware to pdf