How can I save a MacBook Pro that got wet?
Question by Michelle /

I, accidentally (of course), sprayed seltzer water (no sugar or sweeteners) on my husband’s MacBook last night. I immediately grabbed the computer out of his hands and turned it over to drain the water. When I turned it back over to wipe off the keyboard & screen with a towel I noticed that the power had gone off by itself.

I talked to a techie friend of mine today and he suggested putting it in a pillow case and putting that in a bag with rice to absorb the water. He said change the rice daily & wait a week to see if it will work.

I am completely desperate here. Is there anything that can be done to possibly save this computer? Please let me know, I appreciate any hints, tricks, tips and useful information that I can get my hands on.

Thanks so much!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• Vidyut Prabhu

Ummmm this happened to me as well. I had my mac on with the charger plugged in and I spilt the water on it. But the water went in the fan vents. So Immediately removed the water and put it to dry. The worst part is that I tried switching it on!! And I had a blue screen with a image of a memory chip on it and then it said something that I don’t remember and it died! What should I do? I put that into the rice though. Please help :(

• Danny Zoerb

These guys helped me out and did a great job. I left my wife’s MacBook Air was in the trunk of a car that leaked. It was deader than dead… tried rice, kitty litter, waited a weak to turn it on…. nada…nothing! They had it about 4 days and I got it back working like nothing ever happened.  Cost about 120 bucks total including shipping. Don’t know how they did it  but it saved my life. It was over a year ago, everything still working great!

• Charles durham

Hi….You say ‘these guys’… Who might these guys be?… I may well be in need of them. Spilt small amount of beer on a table, a bit leaked into vents at the back, screen went dead… Nothing

• lexisa7

Hi could you please let me know who you sent it to??

• Marcopatron

mine got wet also, overnight, sitting next to me on my bed. I open the back, but di not remove the battery. Sat it by the window hoping the son will dry it in three days. I put it together and turn it on and only a beep every two seconds come out. Shall I wait more, or what can I do. Thank you . . . 

Marcopatron,

the question above is fairly old and unlikely to receive any fresh attention other than from people searching for an answer like yourself. Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer. Thus I recommend you to ask a new question.

Hi Michelle

We haven’t heard from you in a while. I am wondering if you managed to get the MacBook running again. If so how did you do it? Did any of the above mentioned method help?

Please let us know

Aibek

• Ryan Dube

The good news is that you could completely drench a laptop in water (and I mean you could sink it like an anchor into a lake) – and if you can manage to completely dry out every last drop *before* turning it on or applying power, it’ll work just fine.

The problem is not the water, but the water creating electrical connections that should never exist – essentially “shorting” out components of your system board and components. The fact that your laptop was powered up when it got drenched is not good – and the fact that it turned off on its own is further bad news.

It’s definitely worth it to try the rice method and follow John’s advice to take it apart and air it out. Hopefully the system shut down to protect itself from overload conditions rather than electrical failure – but there’s only one way to find out! Just don’t power it back up until you’re certain it’s completely dry.

Good luck!

• John McClain

Once you’ve unplugged it, removed the battery, and gotten rid of as much of the water as you can, you just have wait to let it completely dry before booting up again.

The rice method should help out a lot. You could also try taking the MacBook apart and using a hair dryer. There’s a guide here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-deal-with-liquid-spills-on-your-mac-laptop/

Good luck!