How do I save a file to a USB thumb drive in Windows 8?

Rieb777 March 31, 2014

1. Marcus P

All these cracking suggestions, and not one person has yet mentioned the "send to" right-click context menu!
    If you plug your thumb drive in, you should see a drive letter associated with it in File Explorer.
    To see if it's recognised by the OS as being something you can send data to, select any old image, text or media file, right click it, and see if you can actually "send" it to your thumb drive.
    Sending the file doesn't erase the file from it's original location, it just copies it to the destination - your thumb drive.

IF that doesn't happen to work because there is no send to option associated with the thumb drive, then you could check google - I did the typing work for you on that one so just go to http://tinyurl.com/pbauwqm to find a solution - although I doubt you'll need to. Just remember to plug your thumb drive in first before you try sending things to it.

well this is excellent solution, if the file is already on the desktop but a direct approach will be save as this will limit approach to one step

• Marcus P

Very true Hovsep, I think it depends on your typical method for saving things and whether or not you'd prefer to have a back up of the file elsewhere as well as on the thumb drive. That's my way of doing things usually, just thought I'd add it to the already existing list that has gathered in the answers.
      At least with the original on the hard drive, you'd have a back up, as well as the copy of it on your thumb drive. That would be best practice for certain files containing certain things, depending on what they're used for. Still..thanks for the reply.

1. Copy & Paste
    2. Using the Desktop, start up File Explorer (the icon that looks like a folder on a rack) and drag the file from the right pane to the USB drive on the left (just as in Vista or Windows 7).
    3. Save As...

As Hovsep suggests, most programs contain a Save As option so you can save the file to a location that you wish with a name that you wish. You would have to locate the external drive (USB drive) and save the file there. Alternatively, you can copy or move the file to the USB drive, again as Hovsep suggest, through the File Explorer in Windows. Locate the file, copy the file, then locate the USB drive and paste to the USB drive.

Whenever you save files, make sure that you remember where the file is saved to so you can find it easier. This way you can copy and paste the file, or drag-and-drop the file, wherever you wish. The USB drive should have the name of the flash drive preceded by a letter, i.e. G:SanDisk, though some drives will not display the name and instead may say Generic or something else.

you can copy paste
    which file it is?
    if you choose save as, you will get some location options.