Why can I not save a file in my Documents and Settings folder?

Dean July 27, 2011

I keep getting this message when I try to save C:\Documents and Settings\jay & sandy\My Documents\Downloads:

\SpywareTerminatorSetup(2).exe could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

How do I fix this?

Dean,

did any of the above suggestions work for you? Please let us know. Thank you!

• Dadwhiskers

No, they don't make any difference.

• Dadwhiskers

I found something that worked for me.  If you are using Firefox, change the download folder to another folder, and then change it back to the folder you want. 

I saw another fix on another site that worked for someone else.  Make sure the Application Experience service is set to automatic.  Mine was disabled, and that may have contributed to the problem.

No, don't change the properties. The folder is protected for security purposes. 

Instead, save it to C:Usersjay & sandyDownloads
    The browser won't let you write a file into a read-only directory.

From which browser you are downloading? if its firefox, 
    https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Unable%20to%20download%20or%20save%20files

have you downloaded twice spyware terminator?
    delete your download history, try glary utilities free

Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location
    right click on the folder then choose properties then security and see there if you have permissions