How do I save discussion threads?

Saikat March 18, 2011

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to save all discussion threads that I take part in or like in a centralized place. To draw a parallel, we can archive tweets we want to keep using some web apps. If possible all threads should also update when somebody adds to it.

Is there a web app for this particular need or can someone suggest a workaround? Using GMail with filters is one solution that struck me, but is there something neater?

Possible with Threadsy
    http://www.threadsy.com/

If you log with facebook or twitter account then the messages can appear in threadsy and you can follow your discussions from there.

The fact that the program that you need must have broader connections and cant see if something like that is available on the net.

2. Josh Fox

That kind of depends. Do you prefer something online or installed on your computer?

If it's multiple sources, using the email is the only way I can think of off the top of my head and with a quick search. With Gmail, you can combine filters and labels to make it easy to find. Using Thunderbird as a mail client for Gmail offers similar functionality, only installed locally instead of online. With IMAP, it can be a redundancy backup as well. I think the Gmail web interface is easier to search though because you don't have to specify a folder or anything as you would have to with Thunderbird. It can be setup with general filters on Gmail and then more specific filters in Thunderbird as well. For instance, I have Gmail apply labels as "Forums", "Discus", and "Other" for discussions. Then Thunderbird is setup to sort it by the specific site as well.

I haven't been able to find anything outside of email for saving discussions from multiple sources.

For individual sources, it depends on the site. Some sites just can't handle external tools, and some, like Twitter, need specific tools. I haven't found anything that covers more than one specific site.

• Saikat Basu

My experience exactly. Thanks for the input, Josh. If I find something along the lines, I will also let you know.

• Josh Fox

I just happened to come across this while link hopping through a Mozilla Blog post... Raindrop, currently in Mozilla Labs and no public release yet, looks like it could have potential to be what you're looking for.

http://mozillalabs.com/raindrop

There's a video in their post from Jan 19, 2010 that shows off a little bit of the design. The only fault I've found is that it doesn't clearly say what Raindrop is actually used for. My first assumption was that it's for managing discussions from several sources, as you were asking about.

"Raindrop's mission: make it enjoyable to participate in conversations from people you care about, whether the conversations are in email, on twitter, a friend's blog or as part of a social networking site."

• Saikat Basu

It could be a centralized platform for managing conversations. Looks promising. Thanks, Josh.