How can I save a discussion thread to a PDF?

Aditya May 22, 2010

How can I download a discussion thread into a PDF? I want to download a thread from a vbulletin forum.

1. Bill Spinks

Libre Office and OpenOffice will both do pdfs -- thanks for the suggestion -- it really did help

Like the others above, I suggest using a PDF creator of some sort. Using PrintWhatYoulike or PrintFriendly is a nice touch which I hadn't thought of.

If the thread is too long to fit on a single page, you will need to print each page separately, and join the PDFs together. Some PDF creators, such as PrimoPDF have the ability to append the current page to an existing PDF, but if not, you can print the pages separately, and then use the 'Collate' option in PDFTK Builder to join them together.

3. Leena

If the PDF is read only,you can't save a discussion, Adobe PDF not support editing and the only thing you can do is converting it. I once used a PDF converter not so bad. You can download and try it on

use step is so simple,you just import the PDF file and choose the save folder,than choose the output fomat.

If you only need to convert it to word you can choose the appropriate tool~ hope can help you.

• Dmitry Baranov

quick-pdf pdf to word - also good tool for converting pdf into word

well it's not free. I can see that they offer free 10 day trial option, but again I am not entirely sure if it limits the user in any way.

4. fruitgeek

Try it reformats the page to use less space and less ink- there is also a PDF download button

thanks for the input!

Use CutePDF writer, install and just print anything to that printer(it is NOT an application that can be launched) when the file finishes printing a save box will pop up and you can save it anywhere on your HD. Since it works as a printer, it can make a PDF from ANYTHING!

Or you can try PrintWhatYoulike, You basically enter the link to the page you want to print and select the exact parts you want to print. MakeUseOf covered it as well.

7. Saikat Basu

Following up on the above advice, you can use something like the Pagezipper bookmarklet, get all the discussion thread in one webpage and print it out with PDF.

Download PDF Creator
    And one the web page, just print the page and print it to PDF creator and you'll have the page in PDF.

However, to download the thread to PDF properly, the site has to create it so you can. Maybe find an archive version of the page so it's not split into pages etc.

So printing or even saving the page is the only way to do it. You can only download threads on certain sites if they have actually developed their site to do so.

Hi Aditya,

You can try to "print" the page into PDF. Mac OS X has this features built in. However, Windows have to install additional PDF printer, the one that I can remember right now is doPDF, but there are many of them out there.

10. Steve Campbell

I don't know what options exist on the forum but you might be able to download the thread right from there. The easiest way would be to highlight the whole screen and paste it into a word doc and convert it to pdf that way.

Either that or take a screenshot and make a pdf of the images. Not sure if there's an easier way.