How do I save digital camera pictures onto my computer?

Anonymous April 14, 2014

How  can I save digital camera pics onto my laptop?

1. Ryan D

You have several options usually.

1. The direct USB cable approach Hovsep and Oron have mentioned.
    2. The memory card approach that Oron mentioned (my preference to be honest), although I think he meant "card reader" not "camera reader".
    3. Also, something new I'm kind of excited to try myself is the wireless SD card. These look really, really cool and probably the most convenient way ever to transfer images without even having to mess with cables or cards (http://www.eyefi.com/). Might be worth the investment?

With most digital cameras, the process is as to connect the camera to the PC with a cable, or to take out the memory card and put it into a camera reader. The memory will then appear on the PC just like a USB flash drive, and the pictures will be stored in a folder called DCIM (probably in subfolder(s)).

You can copy the files just like other documents (e.g. by dragging them in Windows explorer to a folder on the hard drive). Many PC programs, however, (for example, Dropbox, Picasa and various flavours of Photoshop) will offer to import the pictures for you or will have already been configured to do so, so they will copy the files automatically - a good- or a bad-thing, depending on your angle!

Finally, a small number of cameras, particularly old ones, require software from the manufacturer to upload the images to the computer.

1) Plug the USB cable into your digital camera.
    2) Plug the other end of the USB cable into the USB port on your laptop
    3) A screen will then pop up asking what action you wish to take. Choose the option "Copy pictures to a folder on my computer

you can also insert the sd card of your digital camera into a card reader, then plug the reader to laptop usb port and then open my computer, click on your card reader and do transfer pics