How can I save, delete, and then re-upload my iPhone contact?

Jenni November 5, 2011

I have a MacBook Pro with Lion and a 64GB iPhone 4S. I want to download my iPhone contacts to my desktop, wipe the iPhone clean of contacts and then upload my contact from my MacBook’s contacts. I will manually add back in any from the iPhone list if I need to (that’s why I want to save it on the MacBook Pro). Is there a way to do this?

1. Glenn

I managed to back up my iPhone contacts to my computer and then re-import them anew by following the instructions from this Apple site:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3849842

Sync iPhone with Outlook Contacts, Calendars & Email
    http://www.sync-iphone.com/contacts-calendars-email/sync-iphone-with-outlook.html

To get your iPhone contacts on your MBP you simply have to enable synchronization between the both. You can do this either via iTunes synchronization or via iCloud (but don't do both at the same time).

In your particular case iTunes synchronization is probably the better option but you can read all about the different methods in the iOS 5 User Guide and the sections about Contacts, iCloud and Synchronization with iTunes. 

Once the contacts are synced to your MacBook Pro you have to disable Synchronization before you delete the contacts from your iPhone.

Deleting the contacts on the iPhone is a bit different. By default you can only delete each contact individually. If you want to delete all at once you will have to exploit the synchronization.
    1. create an empty Contacts group within Address Book
    2. in iTunes select to synchronize "Selected groups" at the Info tab and make sure only the new empty group is selected
    3. go to the very bottom of the Info tab under Advanced "Replace information on this iPhone" and select contacts

This should wipe your iPhones contacts all together.