Is my SanDisk drive broken?

KamilKozyra March 11, 2012

I recently plugged my new 16Gb SanDisk USB drive into my Windows 7 desktop. The USB drive’s light started to rapidly blink. Windows didn’t have any error, but the drive was never recognized. When I tried again the drive said it was empty. Do I need a new one?

Hello, did you try using a different USB connection?  Sometimes that could be the case in cases like this.  You could also try entering safemode and see if the drive is recognized when in safemode.

• KamilKozyra

Thanks :)

could you see it in device manager? is there any yello sign, if yes right click and choose uninstall. reboot pc and try again the usb drive

A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

Follow this and see if it list the usb key
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/configure-a-usb-flash-drive-to-be-a-windows-7-installation-platform/1446

Plug in your USB drive.
    Open the command prompt (Click Start -> Run -> type cmd.exe and press Enter)

Type in the following:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk
    (enter the number that corresponds to your USB drive)
    4. clean
    5. create partition primary
    6. select partition 1
    7. active
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. exit

• KamilKozyra

Thanks for the advice.

• KamilKozyra

I did the Uninstall in Device Manager, but it came back the following day.  Should I clean it?

What do you mean it camed back?

• KamilKozyra

The question marks in the device manager, under  Portable Devices, appeared the next day.  I did the command prompt line you said & so far so good :)