Why does Samung Kies show that my Galaxy Ace’s firmware is unofficial?

Susendeep Dutta October 1, 2011

My friend had purchased Samsung Galaxy Ace some 2 days ago. I saw that it has already Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 version installed. I was expecting that it might have Android Froyo 2.2 version and later on. I’ll need to upgrade it as upgrade is already available and is confirmed by many tech sites.

But whenever I connect it using Samsung Kies PC suite, it displays under the Basic information tab that the phone’s firmware version is not official and unofficial firmwares are not supported. Why it’s saying so?

I’m new in Android field and only know that rooting via Cyanogenmod and flashing unofficial firmwares void warranty which I had not done?

Please help me as I’m new in this field and I’m dealing with Android for the first time.

1. Mark

Hi, I had a similar problem and I took the advice that Mike is giving and I Uninstalled Samsung keys from my laptop and downloaded the latest version directly from the Samsung Kies website rather than letting KIes update itself from a previious version.. It worked a treat, after the new install everything worked fine. Of course its a pain because you loose all of the linked files that you previiously had on Kies.

• Susendeep Dutta

I also update Kies in the same way as you do.But I'm out of luck for successfully connecting Ace to Kies.

2. Krishnamoorthy Vinoth

@Susendeep:disqus  susendeep dutta for this recent updat what was the size of the file PDA:KQ6/PHONE:KQ6/CSC:KQ5(INU).

• Susendeep Dutta

I don't know the exact size but it was nearly around 160 MB.

3. Dovydas Bouvù

For me  it still says, "can't update your phone"

• Susendeep Dutta

Then the carrier of your phone might be responsible for this.According to the wiki article below(see Firmware upgrade section) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Ace
      "Most of the time the update was made available after the carriers have
      updated their firmware customizations. Because of that, some users have
      not been able to update their phone's firmware yet as of Oct 08, 2011."

4. Susendeep Dutta

There's good news.Recently,Samsung Kies displayed that new firmware version is available and I successfully updated the firmware to the version -

PDA:KQ6/PHONE:KQ6/CSC:KQ5(INU).

Although,my android version is only 2.3.4.

I hope all others will have their successful update.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update!

I really suggest all of you to take your problems to your local Samsung Support via Email or Live Chat.

It's not that we don't want to help but for most of the problems we can only offer the very basic solutions (mentioned before).

Both the Kies software and the customized Android firmware used on those phones are unique to Samsung and the priority in fixing bugs depends on the customer feedback and problem reports they get.

6. Dovydas Bouvù

There is another problem. Icons move themselves... Whats that? How to lock it? After reboot it are in different position, than before phone reboot.

7. Susendeep Dutta

@facebook-100000006541740:disqus @fa01547360c240604cf9a4a6f07dbe5a:disqus :-Did you tried using resolution connection error feature available in Kies tools menu(Tools-->Resolution Connection Errors)?

In this,Samsung will ask you to first disconnect your device(if connected) and then will reintall the phone driver itself.After this try connecting your phone and see whether it solved your connectivity issue.

@Amitpnd779:disqus :-You are atleast lucky enough that you are able see that your phone is eligible to get update via Kies.Try updating your phone afterwards using Kies.If the problem still persists then do not update it using Kies.

It's better not to update your phone than getting it bricked as it's reported from many users updating via Kies software.

8. Susendeep Dutta

9. Susendeep Dutta

10. Susendeep Dutta

11. Susendeep Dutta

• Dovydas Bouvù

Yes I did it. Nothing changed. Even factory reset doesnt helped.

• Susendeep Dutta

Then don't care for the Kies.If you have access to update your OS via phone then continue it.

For data transfer from PC to phone and viceversa just open Kies and use it for data transfer.If you like mass storage transfer method then you still have to keep Kies open and you have to navigate to your phone's drive from explorer menu of the PC's OS.

12. Dovydas Bouvù

Well, I tried other usb port also reinstalled kies, nothing helped. Phone isn't rooted. I can't believe this. Any other solutions? 

13. Amitpnd779

Help me Please!! I bought galaxy ace 4 days before. I installed kies downloaded from samsung's site. when i connect phone to kies via usb cable a message comes showing an update "PDA:KQ5/PHONE:KQ5/CSC:KQ5(INU)", I go forward it and it starts download components but when it starts preparing to upgrade my phone it show connection lost to galaxy ace.. however other work like photo, music transfer goes well. I tried many time but same thing happens

14. srinivasa rao

MY SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE WHEN CONNECTED TO KIES SAYING THAT FIRMWARE OF THIS PHONE CANNOT BE UPDATED .WHAT IS SOLUTION ?
    IT IS SHOWING THAT IT HAS GINGERBREAD VERSION 2.3.4 (DDKQ4)
    IS IT OFFICIAL /UNOFFICIAL UPDATION

I have already answered these question before...

The latest available release for the Galaxy Ace is Gingerbread 2.3.4
      The latest available firmware depends on the sales code and service provider.
      The "unofficial or unsupported firmware" message can be either a custom ROM (you manually installed), a provider specific firmware not issued via Kies yet or a bug within the Samsung Kies software.

For the latter all you can do is try a different USB port directly on your computer (no USB Hub), try downloading and reinstalling Samsung Kies or contact the Samsung support about the issue.

None is guaranteed to fix your issue.

• Editor

I'm running Gingerbread V 2.3.5, makes no dif.

15. Dovydas Bouvù

Same problem on my Galaxy S 2. Updated system through phone update, and kies show: this is unofficial version. 

As previously stated Samsung Kies is a buggy software especially when it comes down to Android phones.

My personal suggestion is to simply wait for the next update release of Kies.

You can always contact the Samsung support if you like but the answer is probably not going to help you in any way.

16. Susendeep Dutta

My friend had tried connecting his device on another PC and on  different USB ports too.But the issue is not fixed.I think this is a big bug on Kies software.

I thank you all of you for your help.

Susendeep,

well, if you manage to find a way to fix the firmware issue, please let us know! Keep updating the Kies software, maybe that will fix it sometime in the future.

• Susendeep Dutta

I'm having updated version of Kies and still its saying that -

This version of the device cannot be updated.

I always update my Kies software with a good hope that it will have all bug fixed but it  didn't.

17. Susendeep Dutta

Thanks for your tip.

My phone is unlocked one.I have no data plan.My friend had purchased his phone 3 days back.I agree with you that it could be another bug on the long list of Kies.My another friend has Samsung wave 533 and due to bug in Kies,it doesn't displays Samsung apps store option.

I'll try connecting my friend's phone to another USB port on the back side of my CPU and will tell you later on whether it resolved the issue.

From what I found on the internet Gingerbread 2.3.4 is the latest version available for the Galaxy Ace.

Either way I suggest to download and install the latest version of Samsung Kies manually.

• Susendeep Dutta

I had installed the latest version of Kies yesterday i.e. on 1st Oct.Now,under the Basic information tab it's displaying - This version of the device cannot be updated.

Kies version - 2.0.3.11082_152.

Firmware version - PDA:KQ4/PHONE/KQ4/CSC:KQ4(INU)

Your phone has an indian sales code ("INU") therefor the latest firmware should be KQ5.

I'm not sure what KQ4 is but it could very well be a provider specific firmware not released via Kies yet hence the unofficial or unsupported firmware message. 
        At the same time this could be another bug on the long list for Kies.

The last tip I have is trying another USB Port at best on the back side of the computer. Maybe this will solve the firmware message and therefor allow you to run the upgrade.

Other then that I can only think of going to your provider and have them update the phone.

• Editor

done that and it says galaxy ace and kies not compatible.